Lighting for Lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing the ceiling light in my lounge with halogen / led downlights. My question is is there a limit on how many lights I can use? I have worked out I will need around 12 to 14 downlights to cover the room adequately. Will I need to uprate the fuse at the consumer unit?

Is there an explanation of the types of switching, ie 2gang 1way etc. I have a lightswitch downstairs that has 3 switches. I switch controls the landing light which also has a switch upstairs. The second controls the ceiling light in the lounge the third controls 2 wall lights in the lounge. Is this a 3gang 2way?

Sponsored Links
plawrence said:
I am looking at replacing the ceiling light in my lounge with halogen / led downlights. My question is is there a limit on how many lights I can use? I have worked out I will need around 12 to 14 downlights to cover the room adequately. Will I need to uprate the fuse at the consumer unit?
Depends on how much load there already is on it. You're the only one who can add that up....

Is there an explanation of the types of switching, ie 2gang 1way etc.
#-gang: The number of rockers/knobs/buttons/toggles on the switch.

1-way: The switch can only do on/off, and you can't have a 2nd switch somewhere else that also controls the same light.

2-way: You can have 2 switches controlling the same light. Also needed if you have...

..Intermediate switches, which go "between" two 2-way switches and allow N-way switching where N=No. of intermediate switches + 2.

I have a lightswitch downstairs that has 3 switches. I switch controls the landing light which also has a switch upstairs. The second controls the ceiling light in the lounge the third controls 2 wall lights in the lounge. Is this a 3gang 2way?
It's a 3-gang 2-way switch, but only one gang is actually wired into a 2-way switch circuit. It's quite possible to use a 2-way switch in a 1-way application.

Hope you don't mind me suggesting this, but I think you should spend a bit of time looking at the For Reference section, and with, e.g. the Which? book (see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416 ) before embarking on any installation work.....

Sponsored Links
Living room lighting is a main source of lighting you are trying to achieve.
If so you have mentioned halogen lamps which although not my choice are fine, however LED are in myine and most peoples opinions no good for main lighting but fantastic for feature lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back