What switches do i need ? Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am replacing the horrible brass looking switches and sockets in the landing and living room, i have ordered the single switches for the lights etc in living room but at the bottom of the stairs there is a 3 way switch for the 1 oart of the kitchen lights and then another switch for another part and the final switch if for downstairs landing, will a 3gang 2way light switch do ?

also at the bottom of the stairs there is a 2switch light for up and down stairs landing so will 2gand 2way switch do ?

then the upstairs is just 1switch so a normal 1gang 1way ?

anyhelp would be great thanks
Dean

Sponsored Links
firstly at bottom of the stairs there is a socket on the wall with 3 switches 1 for kitchen light,2 for other kitchen light and 3 for downstairs landing, will a 3gand 2way light switch work for this ?

secondly the socket at bottom of stairs has 2 switches one for bottom of stairs and one for the top so will a 2gang 2way switch work

and for the top landing there is a normal socket with only 1 switch so would a normal 1gang 1way work ?

Dean

I think I can understand it, just...

Just buy 2way switches throughout with as many gangs as the originals.

You can use 2way switches on one way or two way applications and there is very little price difference.

Sponsored Links
Your use of the work "sockets" is very puzzling.

Lights do not run off sockets. Light are controlled by switches. Plugs go into sockets.

i am new to this i used sockets to describe the whole switch it self and switches to describle the bit u press to switch light on lol :oops:

firstly at bottom of the stairs there is a socket switch on the wall with 3 switches 1 for kitchen light,2 for other kitchen light and 3 for downstairs landing, will a 3gand 2way light switch work for this ?
Yes

secondly the socket switch at bottom of stairs has 2 switches one for bottom of stairs and one for the top so will a 2gang 2way switch work
Yes

and for the top landing there is a normal socket switch with only 1 switch so would a normal 1gang 1way work ?
If it is the only switch which operate the light - Yes
However, if one of the switches downstairs also works the light (which I think it does)- You will need a 2-way.

You may as well get all 2-way switches - they can be used as 1-way as well.

Make sure you record the wiring (mark the wires and take a photo) before you disconnect.

There are three types of light switch.

On/off where one switch only controls lights.

Two way where two switches control the same lights but same switch will also work as an on/off switch.

Intermediate switch where many (more than two) switches control the same lights but same switch will also work as a two way or on/off switch.

Gang refers to how many switches on one plate.

There is an exception where outside lights are switched often a double pole switch is used to switch both live wires that's line and neutral.

There are also radio controlled switches for where remote fobs also switch lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back