can i replace 1gang switch with a 2 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have 2 gang 2 way light switch at the bottom of the stairs this can switch either the light at the bottom of the stairs on or the top landing lights on.

At the top landing i only have a 1gang 1 way switch to control the top lights.

So is there anyway to change the top light switch to a 2gang 2way switch all the same wires from the bottom seem to be there only certain ones are doubled up in this switch.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Need clarifiaction as to what you want to do.

So you'll then have a two gang switch upstairs as well. Is your intention that the additional switch will turn on the downstairs light?

If so, the answer is no. To do what you want, you would have to do two things

1. Change the switch (easy peasy)
2. Run a 3-core and earth cable all the way from the downstairs light switch to the (new) upstairs switch. (much more difficlut)

Yes, there are the same number of cables in both switches but you cannot separate them to do what you want.

It may be worth while having a look at the diagrams for two-way switching and you'll soon see where your problem lies.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

PS WARNING
If you are messing about with two-way lighting circuits. Your house may have more than one lighting circuit (upstairs and downstairs, typically). Your downstairs switch will have power supplied to it from both the upstairs and the downstairs circuits.
This means that you will need to switch off both lighting circuits to work on the switch safely.
Of course, you would have used
SAFE ISOLATION PROCEDURES before poking your fingers anywhere near 230 fatal volts. Again, the WONDERFUL WIKI has all the information that you need

Sounds like you want to be able to switch the downstairs light from an additional upstairs switch eg. 2gang switch.

What you have seems to be the conventional method. I have wired my landing lighting in the way you are suggesting. Its a pain if the downstairs light is left on and you are upstairs.

The solution is to run a 3 core and earth cable between the two switches eg. Upstairs to downstairs. However this may create disruption to your decor. A compromise you need to consider.

The solution is to run a 3 core and earth cable between the two switches eg. Upstairs to downstairs. However this may create disruption to your decor. A compromise you need to consider.

Oh, how I wish that i had mentioned that in my earlier post. Ah but wait, I DID!!

Sponsored Links
Oh, how I wish that i had mentioned that in my earlier post. Ah but wait, I DID!!

Clearly two opinions are better than one. More so when they are the same. Obviously because yours came first makes you much the cleverer person and also quite modest may I add.

Sounds like you want to be able to switch the downstairs light from an additional upstairs switch eg 2gang switch.

What you have seems to be the conventional method. I have wired my landing lighting in the way you are suggesting. It's a pain if the downstairs light is left on and you are upstairs.

The solution is to run a 3 core and earth cable between the two switches eg upstairs to downstairs. However this may create disruption to your decor. A compromise you need to consider.

ha ha

Sounds like you be able to switch the downstairs light from an additional upstairs switch eg 2gang switch want to. .

What, seems to be the conventional method, you have. Wired my landing lighting in the way you are suggesting, I have. It is a pain if the downstairs light is left on and, upstairs, you are. .

To run a 3 core and earth cable between the two switches eg upstairs to downstairs, the solution is. To your decor however this may create disruption. To consider a compromise you need. Hmmmmmm.

On january 1st 2005 legislation came into effect which brought electrical work in dwellings under the building regulations, and it a controlled service made. To the building regulations this amendment, as “part p” known, imposes safety requirements, and also classifies electrical installation work into two basic categories, notifiable and non-notifiable. Note though, of course, exempted from all but a few parts of the building regulations, that certain classes of buildings are, and mean that there is a requirement to comply with part 3 that any remaining requirement to comply with part p may not. .

Between major work, essentially the distinction is, or deemed high-risk areas such as kitchens, work in what are, bathrooms and gardens, and to existing circuits minor work such as replacing switches or adding sockets. To those with a knowledge of the iee wiring regulations (nb, used here in its generic sense rather than the meaning defined in the wiring regs, the term “minor work” is.) .

Been outlawed a very important and fundamental point to note is that diy electrical work has not. It has been brought within the remit of the building regulations and carried out as freely as it was before cannot be, and be carried out without involving your local council in many cases cannot, but you may still diy. .

Classed as notifiable, major work is, I.e. Unless exempted by regulation 9 be notified to your local authority's building control department (labc), it must. It, how this happens depends on who does. .

If registered with one of the organisations who administer self-certification schemes, the work is carried out by an electrician who is, to as “competent person” schemes) they carry out the work and report the details to their scheme organiser (sometimes referred, taken place, who then notify the appropriate labc that the work has, and been certified by the person who carried it out as being in compliance with the building regulations, that it has. Ever had windows replaced by a fensa member, you may be familiar with this method of operation if you have. .

If registered with one of the schemes the work is carried out by someone who is not, of tradesman (e.g be they an electrician or another type. Kitchen fitter) who has chosen to register not, or diyer, then it, notified to labc in advance in the same way that any building work, must be which requires their involvement is notified in advance. and just like when you are building an extension, or converting a loft, etc, fee payable to labc to cover their activities related to checking compliance with the building regulations, there is. (but see “labc issues” below regarding this). .

That apart from a building inspector, another important point to note is, certify someone else's work as being compliant with the building regulations, nobody can. With labc unless arranged by or in cooperation, of no value in terms of complying with the law, a 3rd party electrical inspection is. .

The 2010 version of the legislation, found here, can be: Http:/ /www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/contents/made. Worth making the effort to read and understand it, is it, because much misinformation on the internet, there is, illegal, some of it put out by organisations with a vested interest in pretending that diy work is, either misunderstood the legislation, some of it by labcs who have, or also attempting to mislead the public in order to reduce the amount of work notified to them by non-self-certifying people, who are, of it some, surprisingly, of the deputy prime minister by the dclg themselves (the office, to the department for communities and local government predecessor, for the legislation) were responsible, and of it on electrical advice and discussion fora like this one much. .

Almost, also note that the 2010 si linked to above is, but not entirely, for all the previous sis a complete replacement which made up the building regulations. for represent the consolidated position, the scope of this wiki article it does, but it may do for other areas not, e.g. Energy performance certificates, so of interest to you please carry out due diligence in following the si trail to find out the requirements, if those are. .

Of writing (january 2011) at the time, needing notification to labc the following work was classed as not: Herh herh herh.

Very productive positing BAN ;)

Or, as he might say

Productive posting very BAN

I'm thinking he's finally slipped into Danny Boyle land.
He's either going to jump around on NHS beds or run into a cinema with an AK47. Either way it's not going to be pretty.

I think I'll pop off to a friendlier forum for a month or two until he dies down.

He's getting out of hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back