Light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am trying to replace a 1 way 2 gang light switch, the switch i bought is a 2way 1gang stainless one, (i could'nt find a 1way 1gang switch to match the rest of the sockets so i thought i would be able to use a 2 way) . I discarded cable to the redundant light and also the cable to the switch, however, the new switch has three terminals, i wired red to top and black to one of the bottom terminals but the switch in the 'off' position turns the light on and vice versa. would i have to alter the wiring in the junction box in the loft or can i just fit the switch upside down.

Sponsored Links
you can swap the wire in L2 to L1, but if is already in L1, put it upside down(which would be the right way round if the wire is in L1)

Better than turning the switch upside down would be to swap over to the other bottom terminal.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, just needed to check if it was safe to use a 2way on a 1way system.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back