Lighting help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Bit of a embarrassing post I’ve been doing some plumbing in my own house but had to remove some cables from my stairs
To the lights( I’m a plumber which explains the issue lol )

Anyway I took a picture
On my phone of the wired but then smashed my
Phone so lost the pics .

I have a light Sw down stairs and one upstairs which control
The upstairs landing light.

So far I’ve managed to wire it so the downtstairs switch turns the light on/ off but when switching the upstairs
One off it just flashes and stays on… my bad diagram explains how I’ve wired it so
Far.

If anyone could be kind enough to have a look and tell me how to finish wiring it that would be got a feeling the live may be in the wrong place !
Thanks
Jake

Attachments

• C295F287-0A06-44DC-9EC5-65926B26A909.png
    C295F287-0A06-44DC-9EC5-65926B26A909.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
two-way-real.jpg
two-way-school-boy-cables.jpg
There are two ways, well maybe more, of wiring two way lights, the second requires a connection which does not connect to the switches.

When at school OK this was in the late 50's early 60's we were taught the second method, but in real terms the first is better as does not need any connectors in the switch. There are with smart switches even a method using two wires rather than three between the switches, so there is no right and wrong way.

However a picture of the switches may help. With the standard way, at one switch you will have 5 wires (not including the earths) at one switch and three at the other, so the common should only have one wire at both switches and it should be the same wire. So as long as the colour of wire on the com is same for both switches is the same, likely it will work.

If L1 and L2 are swapped it may mean both switches up or down may not mean lights are on or off, but as long as com is the same, it should work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back