Lighting in Shed

S

Scrappy042

Hi, small overview before the question i'm afraid...

I am considering installing LED lighting in the garden. I have an RCD plug (indoors) going to double socket on the outside wall (the usual B&Q/Homebase black RCD plug to 2-gang IP65 socket box).
My LEDs are to be automated using the Loxone system. It uses DIN-rail relays, majority are 24v. Quick Loxone overview: Mains power -> 24v PSU -> Relay -> LEDs

Loxone have advised for 'testing', a Twin+Earth plug/cable can be connected directly from wall socket to PSU.
But as it will be permanently installed on shed wall (insulated, more like workshop), I have no way of running an extension from house main consumer unit (landlord won't allow it) i'd like to afford myself some more protection and to cover for future additions such as more garden lighting.

My question is:
As it's all DIN-rail mountable, if I install it in an IP65 rated consumer unit, i'd like to install Isolator, MCB and RCD pre-PSU.
Is it ok to wire the Twin&Earth plug/cable to the isolator -> MCB -> RCD combo in the shed consumer unit from the external plug socket?

I guess it is as it's standard 13amp, 240v outlet with RCD plug at the other end.

This video explains the principle, about 30-seconds in:

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
As it's all DIN-rail mountable, if I install it in an IP65 rated consumer unit,
Why IP65? How leaky is this shed?

i'd like to install Isolator, MCB and RCD pre-PSU.
What will you use the isolator for? What's wrong with an ordinary wall switch?

What rating will the MCB be? Will it discriminate against the fuse in the plug in the house? Is there any point to it?

You have an RCD in the plug, and for all I know one in the house CU - why do you want a 2nd or a 3rd one?

Basically a CU would be pointless.

Is it ok to wire the Twin&Earth plug/cable to the isolator -> MCB -> RCD combo in the shed consumer unit from the external plug socket?
It's nigh-on impossible to properly use twin & earth outside.

What route will the cable to the shed follow? How far is it? What will it be attached to? Will it be buried? How will it be protected from damage?

Thanks for the response.
To answer:

1) IP65 was a just-inc-case. But it hasn't leaked yet and can see this would be an unnecessary expense.
2) This was in the back of my mind. I'll continue with RCD in the plug.
3) The cable that currently powers the LEDs is double-insutlated and running through 25mm black plastic conduit behind the shed with weatherproof termination at the LED end. 3-pin plug is situated inside the weatherproof 2-gang socket on the wall of the house.

I'll split this conduit so it goes in to shed to the LED controller, then out again continuing it's original path in the conduit to LEDs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back