Lighting outside on perimeter of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to fit a new 6 Amp MCB to fit a new lighting circuit for 2 x 150 W flood lights with PIRs. Although this could be extended to 4 lights in the future.

My question is what sort of cable should I use for outside?

I was thinking about using 1.5mm Twin & Earth Grey, but I have noticed that some of the neighbours have used flex. Should I use something a little more beefed up? I am not planning to use conduit, just want to nail the wire with clips to wall if possible?

Any and all ideas on what I could do are most welcome.

Except the ones ending in cliff!!!

Cheers

Magic Monkey

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't advise using Twin & Earth outside, its not designed for it.

If by 'beefier' you mean cable with a larger diameter of conductor, no need, 1.5mm2 is more than sufficient.

I personally use 0.75mm2 3 core black rubber flex (3183P) for floodlights and the like. It wont last forever, but no cable does, especially outside.

PVC/Twin&earth will break down eventally as its not UV stabilised. Cable type depends on the location. HiTuf is pretty good for this sort of application.

BTW -This work is notifiable if you are adding a new circuit.

Hi Taylortwocities

If I use HiTuf, I notice that this should only be used as Temporary wiring on open sites. I assume that this is only for guidance? Once I fit the wiring and lights that installation needs to be permanent.

Also is the HiTuf flexible enough to go round 90 degree corners ?

Cheers

MagicMonkey

Sponsored Links
Hi Click_Sure

Sorry what I meant by being more beefier is that the cable is still 1.5mm2 but the out sheath is tougher. similiar to HiTuf or other reinforced cable.

The Flex that you mention states that it is only good for general purpose

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61570...x/3-Core/3183TRS-0-75mm-3-Core-Flex-Black-25m

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_Black/index.html

Therefore are they ok for use outside, clipped to the outside wall of a house that runs approx 15 m?

Cheers

Magic Monkey

I've always used 3183P and never had any issues.

If you want cable that will last forever, use MICC (pyro) but then you start getting into potting tools, potting compound, stripping tools, crimping tools etc and the training to put it all together properly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back