External Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing 2 floodlights outside for my garden, but I am confused about few things (and getting more confused as I read posts on here..)

Lights will be supplied from a two gang light switch in the garage, and I will need to run the cable outside for 4-5m.

First of all, I was planning on using two 120W halogen floods without any PIR. Are there any issues (legal?) with this?

Second, I had some 1.5mm twin & earth at home, so was going to use this, but from what I read this is not suitable for external use at all. So what's the best way? Black rubber flex? or normal pvc flex inside the conduit? or twin & earth inside the conduit?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Save yourself money on electricity and use LED or CFL floods.

Lights will be supplied from a two gang light switch in the garage, and I will need to run the cable outside for 4-5m.
You need to make sure you have both live and neutral available at the switch.
Also the instructions for most outside lights will suggest/state you need to fuse down to 3amps normally via an Fused Connection Unit and that the circuit be protected by an RCD.

You need to make sure you have both live and neutral available at the switch.
Also the instructions for most outside lights will suggest/state you need to fuse down to 3amps normally via an Fused Connection Unit and that the circuit be protected by an RCD.

I have the supply from another light switch which has both live and neutral, and it is part of the house lighting circuit with 6A mcb.

my worries lie outside for the cable type to use outside..

Sponsored Links
How do you know I'm a neutral?
Is it just 'cos I's black?

there are 3 cables coming to the light switch;

1 is the incoming supply (brown to the light switch, blue to connector block)
1 is the outgoing supply (brown paralleled with 1st brown, blue paralleled to 1st blue).
1 is the lamp itself (brown to the other side of the light switch, blue paralleled to the other 2 blues)

The way the lights are wired (at least in the garage) is that they took the supply to the light switch rather than the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back