Outside Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got some lights to put up outside, got two bulkhead lighting fittings wired via a stand alone dusk/dawn switch. Need to fit them to the outside of the garage.

The wiring will be run from a fused spur in the garage internally then out into the backs of each fitting.

The instructions in the units say that 1.5mm 3 core flex should be used, but i thought that the wiring regs stated that flex should not be used on fixed installations.

Should i use flex or twin & earth??

Sponsored Links
You say you are running the cable through the wall and into the back of the lamp?

If the cable will not be exposed to sunlight, you can use ordinary T&E (it degrades outside if exposed).

The hole you drill through the wall must be lined with plastic conduit or similar, otherwise the rough bricks can chafe it. You may find you can run the conduit all the way into the knock-outs of the lamp.

water can slso enter the fitting if you use back entry(ooh err),best to use a dedicated bottom knock out and suitable gland

But then the cable would be exposed to sunlight, unless you used round conduit and an elbow.

I think I prefer conduit through the back, with a gland if considered necessary. Looks neater and avoids the elbow.

Sponsored Links
ch427 said:
water can slso enter the fitting

doesnt matter if it does, they then become Flood lights

who ever said holes have to be level?

drill from outside at a slichtly upward angle, water will never get int the light then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back