Garage Wiring

64. The first approach would be to permit suitably trained and qualified members of Competent Person Schemes to certify the work of others who are not registered electricians, thereby by-passing the building control body entirely.
Sounds like a good excuse for the scheme organisers to introduce a new class of membership, with another fee/annual check regime.

Initial engagement with external partners suggests that scheme operators believe that, in addition to a final inspection, this option should include supervision and inspection while the job is being undertaken. On that basis, we estimate that the cost for this type of third-party certification would be approximately £150.
Allowing for travelling time, how much on-site supervision and inspection time, prior to final I&T, is someone likely to get when the whole service is coming in at £150?

Any electricians here fancy taking on that sort of role in a rewire, or extension/loft conversion installation for £150 all in?

We estimate that overall charges are likely to be similar to those set out above – £80 for production of a “condition report” by a qualified electrician
Again - factor in travelling time, and admin time, how much on-site I&T are you likely to get for £80?

Any electricians here fancy being tasked with anything involving checking cable routes for location and installation method for that sort of fee?

66. This means that for DIYers the average saving per job through introducing third party certification is £91 (the average building control fee and notification of £241 minus the cost of third-party certification of £150). 4% of the 950,000 jobs carried out by DIYers are notifiable, so the potential saving is £3.46m per year or £29.78m over 10 years. This is a saving to DIYers rather than business.
It's a saving to DIYers if the costs pan out as "predicted" and if they were going to notify in the first place.

I wonder how many of those 38,000 notified jobs are part of a larger notifiable project, and how many are standalone, e.g. adding a socket in a kitchen or installing a heated mirror in a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Some of that may be changing soon:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/2063566.pdf[/QUOTE]

"We have assumed that, as a proportion of the falls since 2005, fatalities from electric shock would increase
by 20% and other electric shock and electrical fire accidents by 80%."

Which is both 20% and 80% too much. Don't get me wrong, I don't see what the difference is between adding a socket to a ring main in a bedroom and adding a socket in the kitchen* or extending the ring main to the garden*, but I wouldn't dream of doing re-wires, complex sub-main installs myself, etc. etc.

* with the exception of not putting them close to water outlets and using IP graded boxes, but that's nothing other than common sense. Surely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back