Ring Final Circuit - Single core CPC size

OOhh Risteard you are very good to debate with but you do get a bit heated in your replies it seems. You did it in my last thread about the first three tests on a live TT installation. All good stuff though. We always get an answer to my questions though so thanks.

Anyway...

I conducted a recent PIR and wanted confirmation that the CPC size of 1.5 single core was inadequate or a code 4 (memories of an old electrician from my apprenticeship telling another electrician that he was a crap spark for doing it, you see :D )

I see your point holmslaw and agree but I included that value was the worst case, maximum measured value at the upper limits of the corrected value in BS7671 but yeah.. I agree. Am I the "op" by the way? Opening Person? I would install a 2.5 everyday of the week.

Relating to a ring final I think there is a valid point from ban all sheds. Why would you be bothered making a pittance of a saving by installing a reduced cpc? You can only do this once you have:

1. Obtained the Zs
2. Calculated the fault current Ia
3. Obtain the d/c time from Appendix 3
4. Find the K factor
5. Jumble them all up in a mass of finger bashing and head scratching
6. Compare the value to the next available size.
7. Tell the lads to install 1.5 on that circuit, 1.0 on another circuit, 2.5 on that one, etc, etc. Yadadada

Good things come out of laziness and in this instance it is Table 54.7. BS7671 says that use either 54.7 OR the adiabatic equation but this thread is all about the ring final circuit only and although I agree you can use the adiabatic I would choose not to, but that's just me.

Regarding the outcome of the PIR observation the R1+R2 was 1.94 Ohms and the Zs was 2.18 Ohms so it failed verification anyway. Hmmmmm
8) [/u]

Sponsored Links
:?: :?: :?:
A 1.5mm CPC is fine on a circuit wired with 2.5mm live conductors.

If it's not, then 99% of domestic installations are non compliant, or do you think that enclosing the conductors in a bit of grey PVC magically changes things? :rolleyes:

If it's not, then 99% of domestic installations are non compliant, or do you think that enclosing the conductors in a bit of grey PVC magically changes things? :rolleyes:

He might! I've met a guy who thinks heatshrinking his fan wires together (DC 12V, in a PC) made his fans run faster.

:D :D

Yeah, it says it in Appendix 15 but states that "conductor size relates to BS6004 'flat twin and earth'....only"

What about single core?

:cool:

Sponsored Links
One situation I am aware of which doesn't pass the adiabatic is having 2.5mm twin and earth with a 1mm CPC (which was available for a short period many moons ago) where the OCPD is a 30A BS3036.

Absolutely spot on. Fitting a 60898 MCB is the best solution.

One situation I am aware of which doesn't pass the adiabatic is having 2.5mm twin and earth with a 1mm CPC (which was available for a short period many moons ago) where the OCPD is a 30A BS3036.

Absolutely spot on. Fitting a 60898 MCB is the best solution.

Although if it was existing you would compliment the fitting of an MCB with an RCD as the max. Zs figures are a little less forgiving for a 60898 than they are for 3036s and a straight swap might be a problem on a particularly large circuit !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back