Routing wiring from outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just removed some 'flex' cable from 2 outside lights that were (obviously) incorrectly fitted by the previous owner. The flex ran around the outside walls and through a hole to a switch near to the consumer unit. I will be replacing the wiring with 1.5 twin and earth and will reduce the amount of wiring running around the outside walls by going through the walls into the ceiling void. However, I will still need a short vertical run to get to the required height. So my question is, is there any regs I should be aware of routing the cable outside? Does it need protecting? Should I be using any particular type of cable? Incidentally I will be allowing a small loop to avoid water running to the light fitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Sponsored Links
could you not drill a new hole for each light? that way you have no worries, and it will look neater

Otherwise, if outside cabling is unavoidable, either trunking or conduit over the outside wiring will give it a long life - the UV in sunlight is not good for PVC wire over time, it becomes brittle and crazes over as the plasticiser leaches out. (mind you that takes about 10 years) If it is shaded, because of the construction of the eaves, or because it is north facing, then this is not such an issue. Actually, while not recommended, even paint will significantly invrease the life of the cable. All that is required is to route it where it will not be mechanically damaged, and to make sure it is shielded from UV from the sun. Personally the smallest size trunking that can be fitted neatly is preferred. Loops, and/or entering from below are sensibel ways to reduce the risk of water getting in.
regards M.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Yes, I'll try and position them where I can go straight through the wall. All good info.

Thanks again.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back