Outside lighting , wiring not in zones - advise please !!

Not as stuck as you think ;)

Use an RCBO like the one below and replace your lighting circuit's MCB with it.

MK6936.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK6932.html

You obviously need to get one compatible with your consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Now we're getting somewhere lol
Thanks stargazer!!
Just looked on TLC site as my CU is Hager , which the RCBO's are not sold in TLC . so I went to Hager E catalogue site http://catalogue.hager.co.uk/default

I went into the 1 module section of the RCBO and there is a few various ones there,
I know ill need a 6 amp RCBO for light curcuit
these are the ones which are listed

AC104 RCBO Electronic 1M 1P 6kA B-6A 10mA AC Class
AC119 RCBO Electronic 1M 1P 6kA C-6A 10mA AC Class
AD104 RCBO Electronic 1M 1P 6kA B-6A 30mA AC Class
AD119 RCBO Electronic 1M 1P 6kA C-6A 30mA AC Class
AD184 RCBO Electronic 1M 1P 10kA C-6A 30mA AC Class

What will I have to look for to find which is the one I need,

Steve

It looks like the horizontal chases in the second picture are definitely outside the zones, and you’ve installed the wiring already? So my previous advice to RCD protect the circuit holds.
I'm afraid that RCD protection is not an alternative to using the correct zones...

Sponsored Links
Agreed.
However the installation as it now stands is safer with RCD protection than without.
Under the 17th he would need to RCD protect this work in any case.
No doubt the OP will welcome any suggestions anybody has on how to get his wiring within the safe zones...

No doubt the OP will welcome any suggestions anybody has on how to get his wiring within the safe zones...
1) Chase down from the ceiling as shown here, rather than with the dogleg:

t1327381xy1.jpg

2) Put the switch somewhere in the area indicated:

t1327382qt8.jpg

3) Wire the switch from a 4-way JB as per a normal switch drop with loop-in wiring, and take the cable to the light through the outside wall from within the void, and run it to the light position.

Hi Guys
thanks againfor your advice,
On your first picture Ban when you say chase down instead of doing the dogleg is that where I have chased is the furthest point across to the left as past that point is an unaccessible boxed void above the stairwell and i cant bring the wiring down from that point.
It just gets better guys lol

Steve

You'd be amazed what routes can be made through things with 1m long drill bits.... :D

Drill bits? Bah! You need a man’s tool for this job.
A pneumatic drill will soon create plenty of openings in the safe zones…

images

…but be careful of unexpected consequences from the vibrations…

10100810A~Jackhammer-Posters.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back