lighting overload?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have recently moved into a new house. All the rooms have a single light pendant in them, if i change some of these to 3 light spots or downlights would i overload the circuit?

Sponsored Links
It is not possible to answer that question without full information on both the existing lighting circuit setup and what exactly you plan to change (both including complete numbers)

Add the wattage of all the bulbs and see what your total is
Check your fuse size
Add up the total wattage of your new fittings then come back with info and you'll get advise then

Sponsored Links
Because many light fitting are rated at only 6 amp this is normally maximum size of any lighting supply. With rated voltage of 230 this gives maximum wattage of 1380.
Assuming 60W bulb size as maximum then that means 23 bulbs per circuit.
Some lamps do have inrush and you are unlikely to use all together so there is some diversity.
Also by using energy saving lamps in some areas it will free up power for use in other areas.
Do remember any bulb with less than 40 lumens per watt are to be phased out.
When I changed my lights I was horrified to see how many fittings are still for sale which will be obsolete by 2012.
I would check there are energy saving bulbs available for anything fitted even if you don't intend to use them yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back