Overloaded Circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house (3 bed det. built approx 1975) has single lighting radial through a single 5A fuse (wire). Over the years as rooms have been decorated, the current fashion for multiple downlighters and halogen spots has significantly increased the load on the circuit. The total load (if everything was switched on) is 2.4kW, which includes a 500W PIR security light :eek:

Thats 10amps! The day to day realistic max lighting load is approx 1.2kW that is of course until the security light comes on!

Is it time for a rewire or is there anything else that can be done? It might also be worth pointing out that the fuse is not blowing excessively. In fact, its only blown once in the last 2 years (the correct fuse wire is being used).

It got me thinking ... I expect there are many other houses around the country which are similarly overloading the lighting circuit!

Sponsored Links
First thing to do would be to shift the flood light onto an FCU on the ring, eventually it would be ideal to split it into two separate lighting circuits

We have got a overloaded one in our house as well, one day I need to move the dining room lights (780w :eek: ) onto a more lightly loaded loaded circuit, or onto a currently unused one

Do you know what size cable is feeding the circuit at the moment? If it is a 1.5mm2 cable (in normal circumstances) then the current setup probably is not a problem, but if you are unsure get an electrician to look at the size of cable, and also splitting the lights into two circuits. Providing the condition of the wiring is satifactory a rewire is unlikely.

Rob

Sponsored Links
It's standard 1.5mm throughout.

Splitting into two circuits sounds a simple enough job. Is it a simple case of finding where the circuit travels upstairs (understairs cupboard I think), splitting the wire and terminating the downstairs circuit. Then, extending the upstairs circuit to the main fuse box? Is it ok to just terminate the circuit or would I need to terminate at the last light fitting?
[the current circuit is radial, terminating at the bathroom).

I plan to replace the old fuse box with a circuit breaker in the near future. I'll be getting a spark in to do that so might as well ask him to split the circuit as well (for hopefully minimal cost!)

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back