5A BS546 socket on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put a couple of 5A sockets on the lighting circuit in my kitchen to feed under cabinet task lighting. However wiring them up today it occurred to me that of course that lighting circuits are protected by a 6A MCB these days rather than a 5A fuse.

In theory therefore a fault could cause the socket/plug to be overloaded and I should swap them out for FCU's instead. However some research seems to suggest that 2A plugs used to be put on 5A lighting circuits and multiple 5A plugs where put on 15A circuits, so I should be fine with a 5A socket on a lighting circuit. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I have 5A sockets on a 6A breaker.

Can't see an issue with it, but no doubt if there is, someone will come along & shoot me down!

Isn't this the same as 13A sockets.

Doesn't it mean it is used for plugs with 5A fuses for small cable?

Not that it is itself only rated for 5A.
After all - how big are the terminals, larger than 5A fuse wire?

Sponsored Links
No, but the circuits to which they would be connected would have been protected by a 5A fuse.

So, now, with 6A mcbs they will likely be subjected to less electrical stress.

I also have 2A sockets on a 6A breaker, controlled by a dimmer.

I refer to 5/6A Fuse/MCB and consider both 5A fuse and 6 A MCB as being the same. Many ceiling roses still rated at 5A and as they act as a junction box they limit the maximum to 5A but I consider that to include a 6A MCB.

As to 2A the BA22d lamp holder is rated at 2A in the main but there should be a fuse built into the bulb. I feel to use 2A sockets without fusing down is stretching it a little too far. However my kettle uses IEC connector C15 which is only rated at 10A and I am sure there are many other cases where there is a slight over load. Where we will get 2.5A fuses for the C7 IEC fig 8 sockets I don't know I use 3A.

So I would consider it as a nominal figure and not worry about it.

However my kettle uses IEC connector C15 which is only rated at 10A and I am sure there are many other cases where there is a slight over load. Where we will get 2.5A fuses for the C7 IEC fig 8 sockets I don't know I use 3A.

You can buy 1A,2A,7A and 10A BS1362 fuses are from the likes of RS and Farnell and TLC-direct.

I have seen 5 amp plugs and sockets carrying more than 8 amps on continuous duty without any problems. (( it was meant as a temporary measure until 13 amp sockets could be installed but 4 years later they were still 5 amp ).

I don't know whether modern 5 amp sockets are as good as those "ancient" ones but I personally would have no problem with good quality 5 amp sockets on a 6 amp fused circuit.

For domestic use, it's unlikely that a 5A socket would be used to run anything more than a table lamp.

They're still used extensively in smaller theatres and village halls and there might be running 1kW+ of lighting.

Whether the modern sleeved pin variants are as good as the old ones is another matter of course.

Worth mentioning that for domestic use shuttered sockets and sleeved pins should be used.

As to 2A the BA22d lamp holder is rated at 2A in the main but there should be a fuse built into the bulb. I feel to use 2A sockets without fusing down is stretching it a little too far.

I see it as the 2A socket on a 6A lighting circuit is the equivalent of a 2A bayonet socket.

You are highly unlikely to have more than a 60 or 100W lamp plugged into a 2A socket anyway.

And fuses? Well, if you're lucky, the lamp in the fitting plugged into the 2A socket will be fused, but having said that more and more I am finding are not these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back