Floor lights on lighting or mains circuit?

mgx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on a spec for our property. One large room will have a single lighting circuit (6a radial on 1mm csa, oval in plaster) and single power circuit (32a radial on 4mm csa, oval in plaster). We are putting in 4 floor lamps that can be dimmed by home automation (KNX) (max capacity of the dimmers are 250w). To do this, I'm planning on 1G socket next to the 2G power socket but this 1G socket I'll use a round pin 2A socket, just to differentiate the plugs so no one inadvertently plugs a standard 13A item into it - even to put new lamps in there someone has to fit a custom plug. I am not sure whether I should draw the socket from the lighting circuit (it'll have already 3 fixed kitchen lights, 1 fixed dining light and 1 fixed cornice light) or from the mains circuit (it'll have 6 13a sockets [the kitchen sockets are on their own circuit]) - I tend to think lighting circuit, and does this approach sound sensible? (obligatory note that I am going the route of having the work done by me but approved by my LBA)

Edit: now I have found this thread (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70386), so it appears it is okay to put either 2A or 5A round sockets and put them on the lighting circuit - the circuit will be RCBO. Great!

Sponsored Links
yes have them on the lighting circuit, or else how will you control them with your dimmers? :confused:

The 2 amp issue is resolved by the appliance not drawing more than 2 amps. ;)

standard pendant lampholders are rated at 2 amps.

yes have them on the lighting circuit, or else how will you control them with your dimmers? :confused:

The 2 amp issue is resolved by the appliance not drawing more than 2 amps. ;)

standard pendant lampholders are rated at 2 amps.

Thanks, I realised the stupidity of what I said due to 13A sockets being on 32A circuits so I edited out that part of my original post :).

btw. the dimmers can work off any circuit: they are flush mounted connected by control line (see http://knxshop.co.uk/catalog/imagebank/large/105800.jpg -- not the actual one I am using, but similar)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back