Protection for 2A sockets on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The master bedroom in my house has a 3-pin 2A socket on either side of the bed to allow table lamps to be plugged-in. Each is switched from a standard wall light switch and seems to be supplied from the upstairs lighting circuit. As 2A plugs do not have fuses, should each 2A socket be fed from an FCU fitted with a 2A fuse as otherwise the only protection is the main trip on the lighting circuit which is 6A. Any views or comments?

Sponsored Links
No, it is fine as it is, and a standard circuit arrangement

You will only plug a table lamp into the 2A sockets which will not overload the plug or socket.

They are round pin to stop an appliance wich would overload the socket from being plugged in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Sureitsoff, I didn't realise that 2A fused plugs were available. Thanks for enlightening me - I'll be getting hold of some of these. :D

also rember some 2a round pin sockets are unshuttred but this migh not be a prob to you. just a thought...

The sockets are shuttered MK ones so that's okay.

The only place I've found selling the MK 2A fused plugs (639WHI) is charging over £7 each. :eek: Anyone know of a cheaper source?

There is really no need for fused plugs in this situation. A 6A breaker will provide plenty of short circuit protection for a short length of flex and even with a large bulb fitted the lamp isn't going to overload things.

Fused BS546 plugs are bloody expensive because hardly anyone uses them.

plugwash has a point. they will only draw the current needed so the fuse is not needed in a plug on a low ampage circuit like a lighting one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back