2-amp lighting circuit help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with the above, i want to be able to switch a lamp in the living on and off by a switch on the wall. per a electrics book i have it says that i can do this with a 2 amp lighting circuit with 2A round-pin unswitched sockets.

please can you confirm that my understanding as follows is correct, if i run 1.5mm 2core and earth from the CU (from a 6A MCB) to the light switch on the wall and then run 1.5mm 2core and earth from the light switch to a 2A round-pin unswitched socket on the wall and if i wanted to i good run another cable to more sockets finishing at the last one, as a radial circuit. this then would enable me to control the light via the wall switch.

if this is not correct or there is a better way of doing it please let me know.

max

Sponsored Links
Yes, this is correct. Neutrals in a terminal block behind the swith of course!

The use of 2 amp round pins is widespread, although strictly speaking, as these are not shuttered types, 5amp one should be used. These are slightly larger (approaching 13amp in terms of dimensions), and have shuttered pins.

1.0mm would also be acceptable on all but the very longest of runs. (we are not talking hundreds of meters are we :LOL: )

Also a 5A socket will give you an earth, which will widen the choice of lights you can have.

Sponsored Links
Ditto, 2A sockets on the wall here have an earth pin, the sockets are not connected at the moment to the jb in the loft tho, will do that someday, like I'll sort out the approx 8A lighting hanging on a 6A circuit one day...

(the joys of a house with DIY electrics all done with varing degrees of competance)

Thanks for all the help, i shall get on with the project now.

How do i wire it so i can control 2 independent sockets by 2 different switchs.

So i will have 3 switchs in the room, Switch 1 controls the main light, switch 2 will control a light plugged into 1 5amp round pin socket, switch 3 will control another light plugged into a different 5amp round socket.

Exactly as you would with a single-gang switch and one socket. At the switch you'll have to connect all of the COMs together, then run cables from each L1 to each socket.

You mention a ceiling light though. Does this already exist? If so, does the circuit loop at the lights or the switches in your house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back