Good practice for lighting circuits with socket outlets?

mgx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a radial lighting circuit (that runs along the top of wall around a room) where the circuit has a number of round 2A sockets (at usual socket height) - is the best practice to run cable down to socket and back up to top of wall, or just take a spur from the cable down to the socket. Cables are in plaster, so junctions boxes would be accessible.

Sponsored Links
Avoid junction boxes wherever possible. Especially under plaster! Do as you say and run down the wall and back up again. OR you can run horizontally between two socket outlets.

Have you already wired this, or are you planning to?

Planning, lots of it since this will be my first wire (apart from 5v circuits in elec eng :) to be LABC approved. Thanks, that is useful and pretty much what I suspected. Due to some doors and windows in the path, I can't wire horizontally anyway.

Sponsored Links
Run your live feed down to sub floor level and then loop in out, will save mass chasing up wall and the cable use will be far less length.

Since your be wiring for the ring / radial sockets on the floor it will be easier to bring the 2A cables up at the same time. On the main live drop you could add in a l/switch to kill the circuit at night.

Jobs a good un :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back