Lighting Power Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of LED strip lights, that are powered off a normal mains adapter. I want to remove the adapter, and replace the single socket with a fused spur, pulling the cable up the wall to where the lights are.

I’m wondering will this power supply do the job. All the ratings look right and the conduit is already in place to pull the cable up the wall from the fused spur.

Currently the cable goes through the wall and is to a piece of conduit anyway.

Replacement power supply

Current plug attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
I have a set of LED strip lights, that are powered off a normal mains adapter. I want to remove the adapter, and replace the single socket with a fused spur, pulling the cable up the wall to where the lights are.

I’m wondering will this power supply do the job. All the ratings look right and the conduit is already in place to pull the cable up the wall from the fused spur.

Currently the cable goes through the wall and is to a piece of conduit anyway.

Replacement power supply

Current plug attached
Well the interesting thing is; there is supposed to be a 25VA limit on the capacity of plugtop powersupplies, that shown is 36VA. The implication of that is the CE marking is ficticious and it makes me wonder if anything else is incorrect. Chances are it will be fine.

However you will still require a socket to plug it into so this
Or this

looks like it will require less effort and hopefully be a neater job.

But I have to ask; What is wrong with the existing 'adapter'?

There’s nothing wrong with it other than that I’m tiling and would like to get rid of the plug top for a switch. Seems like the right way to do it

Sponsored Links
There’s nothing wrong with it other than that I’m tiling and would like to get rid of the plug top for a switch. Seems like the right way to do it
Yes that makes sense, except why is your first suggestion another plugtop version?

Yes that makes sense, except why is your first suggestion another plugtop version?
It isn't! :)

1711891268451.png

But it is a power supply that would require a further enclosure to make safe.
The 2nd choice is far better, as it includes terminal covers and cord grips.

...and ensure you get the polarity correct on the 12V side!

Last edited:
Second option it is if it’s the better option.

I’ll connect a fused spur so I can fuse it down correctly. Won’t be as pretty as a light switch, but I don’t fancy cutting the wall open as much as would be needed to bring the lighting ring to this location. I’m just trying to make it a little prettier than what it is now, since I’m tiling anyway.

I say prettier. That assumes I don’t make a right mess of the tiling.

Second option it is if it’s the better option.

I’ll connect a fused spur so I can fuse it down correctly. Won’t be as pretty as a light switch, but I don’t fancy cutting the wall open as much as would be needed to bring the lighting ring to this location. I’m just trying to make it a little prettier than what it is now, since I’m tiling anyway.

I say prettier. That assumes I don’t make a right mess of the tiling.
Apologies, I misread post#1.

My personal opinion of Meanwell supplies is very good and they are held in high regard in the entertainment business.

If you have somewhere to place it I suggest to retain the existing MW and house it in a box such as this https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-gang-surface-pattress-back-box-47mm/4493D?tc=SC6 and a 2gang blanking plate. Take it with you to check it will fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back