Power for under cabinet lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to provide power for under cabinet lighting, the nearest power source is a fused spur supplying a built under larder fridge. Would there be any issues running a short length (10") of cable behind plasterboard in oval plastic conduit vertically from the output of this spur to supply the under cabinet lighting?
I am aware that as this work is in a kitchen it is notifiable under the building regs. I have other electrical work to carry out - moving a socket and installing ceiling downlights which I intend to get signed off / certified.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You would need to fit another fused spur, to fuse the wiring down, and to act as a switch. Do the cabinet lights have a switch built-in to them?

Thank you for the very quick reply sparkwright.

The cabinet lights will have a built in switch. The current spur is fed from an adjacent double gang socket. Could I feed the new spur from the current spur or would it have to come from the socket?

My ignorance on this subject is showing but I am a willing learner and I want to do it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Is the existing fused spur 'spurred' off the socket, or is it directly wired in the form of a ring?
Your reply suggests it's spurred off, but I'm not sure.
How many cables cables at the socket?
How many at the existing fused spur?
Assuming you have a conventional ring circuit, you should extend the ring, rather than spur off.

Sponsored Links
The existing fridge spur is spurred off the socket, the socket has three cables connected to it, two dropped down from the ceiling and the third going directly to the fridge spur, this, and the outlet to the fridge are the only cables in the spur. There is another spur on the other side of the socket, this supplies a dishwasher and has two cables dropping down from the ceiling so it looks like this spur and the socket are on the ring circuit.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again.

Easiest thing to do is make sure the new FCU, the old FCU and socket are all on the ring directly; ie each has two cables SUPPLYING them.

You may have to extend one set of wires.

Use earth sleeving over bare earth wires.

The EASIEST thing to do would probably be to wire a 3A FCU on the load side of the fridge FCU giving the handy feature that loss of u/c lights may indicate a problem with power to the fridge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back