Bathroom Mirror Light fed from shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 60 watt strip light over a mirror in the bathroom which needs replacing. Having inspected the wiring, it connects to the shaver socket on the same wall. The cable runs out the back of the light fitting directly through the wall into a cupboard in the room behind, through flat conduit and back through the wall directly into the back of the shaver socket. Shaver socket is connected via cable that runs through conduit to bottom of cupboard and connected to socket spur via a fused switch.

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to source power to the light in this way?

2. I am thinking of replacing the light with a low energy fluorescent strip light. If using the existing wiring set up is OK, is there any reason why I shouldn't insert a junction box or switch along the cable course between the shaver socket and the light (it would save disturbing the wiring at the shaver socket)?

Sponsored Links
My questions are:

1. Is it OK to source power to the light in this way?

2. I am thinking of replacing the light with a low energy fluorescent strip light. If using the existing wiring set up is OK, is there any reason why I shouldn't insert a junction box or switch along the cable course between the shaver socket and the light (it would save disturbing the wiring at the shaver socket)?

1. Yes, the shaver socket is probably powered from the lighting circuit. That is the normal way to do it.

2. I assume that the junction box will be accessible from the cupboard behind? If so then the answer is yes.

1. It's ok, just not how an electrician would normally do it.

2. Again, you can do this, but it's better to use one cable from the shaver to the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Guys

Thanks very much for the prompt responses. The shaver socket looks to be connected via the fused switch (FCU?) to the ring serving the 13 amp wall sockets in the bedroom. I have read that a switched socket is required in those circumstances (whereas it's not required if the shaver socket is connected to a lighting circuit?).

Sparkyspike, I note you say it would be better not to have a junction box or switch between between the shaver socket and the light. What sort of problem might it cause?

I have read that a switched socket is required in those circumstances

No, you don't need a switched socket.

Sparkyspike, I note you say it would be better not to have a junction box or switch between between the shaver socket and the light. What sort of problem might it cause?

It's never a good idea to deliberately install a joint where it is not essential, as this will be the weakest point in a circuit. Plus, if there is a fault, an electrician or new occupier won't know where this joint is. Also, it's not how a professional would do it.

Having said that, you can fit one (if, as TTC says, it remains accessible) if that's what you want to do. There's no point though, if you can get to the shaver point.

Just to piggy back this thread to save starting another..I was wondering if the unswitched live feed to a shaver socket (already insitu) could be extended to power a new small underfloor heating system I'm about to have put in. I just want to make sure I have the First fix right for when a sparky comes in to connect everything up.

I suppose it can't hurt to simply leave a spare cable in the wall up to the loft space where the junction boxes are located to the programmer in case a seperate feed needs to be added ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back