Lighting problem / dead live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem with a ceiling light (on a dimmer) where the live to the lamp appears to be dead. I've tested it and for some reason there's no feed at all. The wiring is loop in and everything else is working including the 'switch live' but my problem is how to fix it.

I'm clutching at straws but the room has been newly plastered and painted and I obviously want to avoid damaging the wall rewiring it if I can. I could take a feed from a nearby switch but it would involve chasing out the kitchen wall.... which has also just been finished!!!

Is there any way I can avoid chasing and patching!?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a problem with a ceiling light (on a dimmer) where the live to the lamp appears to be dead. I've tested it and for some reason there's no feed at all. The wiring is loop in and everything else is working including the 'switch live' but my problem is how to fix it.

I'm clutching at straws but the room has been newly plastered and painted and I obviously want to avoid damaging the wall rewiring it if I can. I could take a feed from a nearby switch but it would involve chasing out the kitchen wall.... which has also just been finished!!!

Is there any way I can avoid chasing and patching!?

Thanks

Pictures please

So you have working live and neutral to the ceiling rose, a working live to the switch, and a working switch live back to the lamp?
Hmm.

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Sorry..... switch live is NOT working, but I have a live to the lamp.
I don't like using neon screwdrivers - it's been tested with a meter. Neutral is ok.

Will post photos asap

Cheers

The first question is what are you testing with? Line is compared with some other wire. Be it earth or neutral the voltage recorded is againt something else. Some time people try to measure to an aerial which can give all sorts of odd results. They use their own body as an aerial and clearly this will show if your likely to get a shock but not if there is a neutral or earth connected.

If the switched live return to he lamp is not live, pound to a penny your simmer switch is the dead part of the equation. try an ordinary switch in its place to test the hypothesis (power off during the changeover of course)

pj

If the switched live return to he lamp is not live, pound to a penny your simmer switch is the dead part of the equation. try an ordinary switch in its place to test the hypothesis (power off during the changeover of course)

pj
I'd go with that if wet plaster has just been slapped around it and the dimmer has been loosely attached to let the moisture "go somewhere".

Ok guys, I'll try an ordinary switch first of all - although this light fitting HAS worked since the plastering was done. It has just stopped working all of a sudden and no other electrical work has been done to interfere with it!

I'll whack another switch on and report back, thanks.

It is unusual for cables to fail. More likely a screw worked loose at lamp or switch. From what you have said I would go to lamps ceiling rose and with power off genitally pull each wire.

You say using a meter to test so how did you test the supply to switch as normally no neutral and often one finds no earth connected to measure against.

I know it goes against the grain but rather than use long wandering leads to get the return I would give it a quick test with neon tester using an aerial (your body) as return in case earth not connected.

with power off genitally pull each wire.
I know we're all men (and women) of the world, but even so...

But if it rocks your boat, go for it.

I would suggest being on a stable elevated platform rather than a stepladder though....

Advice provided for entertainment purposes only. This advice does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either DIYnot.com, its friends, or its letterhead; don't quote the site on that; don't quote the site on anything. This site may contain nuts. All rights reserved; you may distribute this URL freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this website is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; caveat emptor; website is provided "as is" without any warranties; reader assumes full responsibility; an equal opportunity website; no shoes, no shirt, no service; quantities are limited while supplies last; if any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center; read at your own risk; parental discretion advised, text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable; keep away from sunlight; keep away from OJ; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; no money down; no purchase necessary; you need not be present to win; some assembly required; batteries not included; instructions are included; action figures sold separately; no preservatives added; slippery when wet; safety goggles may be required during use; sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken; call before you dig; not liable for damages arising from use or misuse; for external use only; if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading; read only with proper ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place; keep away from open flames; avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit; do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; smoking this website could be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom; no salt, MSG, artificial colour or flavouring added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult a physician; website is ribbed for your pleasure; possible penalties for early withdrawal; offer valid only at participating sites; allow four to six weeks for delivery; must be 18 to read; disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes, ball lightning, and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.); other restrictions may apply. This website is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited by law or common sense. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colours may, in time, fade. Simulated words. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the International Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No American coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Decision of judges is final. Don’t eat yellow snow.

with power off genitally pull each wire.
I know we're all men (and women) of the world, but even so...

But if it rocks your boat, go for it.

I would suggest being on a stable elevated platform rather than a stepladder though....

Thanks for that. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but in the face of a really, really awful day I found myself laughing out loud at your comment. Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back