Lights in the ceiling without a wall switch?

If I can stick that Amazon one under the floorboards and attach it to LED spotlights in the ceiling then I will just go for that..
Good luck with that, when the unit fails you will have to take the floor boards up to get the lights working again.

Also all the connections need to be accessible for maintenance ( the screw terminals need to be checked every few years and if necessary tightened. )

Sponsored Links
Surely there is already a wall switch in your living room!
Yes or no :?:
One imagines that the answer is 'yes'. However, since the question has been asked, I assumed that the OP wishes to retain the existing light and switch (as the 'main lighting'), and to install the (separately switched) LED spotlights in addition to this, without having to run additional cables to the existing switch position. Of course, I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

If I can stick that Amazon one under the floorboards and attach it to LED spotlights in the ceiling then I will just go for that..
Good luck with that, when the unit fails you will have to take the floor boards up to get the lights working again. ... Also all the connections need to be accessible for maintenance ( the screw terminals need to be checked every few years and if necessary tightened. )
I suspect that 'under the floorboards' may mean 'above the ceiling' - in which case, if the OP is lucky, the remote control receiver may be accessible through the lamp holes in the ceiling.

Kind Regards, John

Good luck with that, when the unit fails you will have to take the floor boards up to get the lights working again.

Also all the connections need to be accessible for maintenance ( the screw terminals need to be checked every few years and if necessary tightened. )

Yes, you're absolutely right! I realised that after laying in bed and looking at the floor where it would be installed. I would have to pull up the floor even if I had to reset the pairing!

If I still have to go with this option then I suppose it would be possible to install it in the wardrobe (out of sight) as long as the signal is strong enough.

Sponsored Links
Surely there is already a wall switch in your living room!
Yes or no :?:
One imagines that the answer is 'yes'. However, since the question has been asked, I assumed that the OP wishes to retain the existing light and switch (as the 'main lighting'), and to install the (separately switched) LED spotlights in addition to this, without having to run additional cables to the existing switch position. Of course, I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

In the room there is a 2 switch wall plate, each one is connected to a separate ceiling light.

John is exactly right, I do want to retain this lighting and add (LED preferably) spotlights in one or two (ideally) places.

I think someone suggested pulling the wires out and replacing them with more cores. Is this possible and easy to do? I didn’t realise that was possible (my ignorance increases!) although I'm guessing it would depend on how it was installed under the plasterwork. It would certainly be an option as it would still avoid chasing the wall.

Thanks again.

You're right - it all depends how the cables are installed.

There is a risk to be aware of - you might think you can pull a 3C+E through to replace a twin&earth, and get it part way through and then have it get stuck, or come apart at the join, leaving you with no cable at all to the switch.

Would putting both existing lights on the same switch be acceptable? You could then use the other one for the new lights.

Why not fit a PIR/microwave detector in the ceiling?
People tend not to move around much in living rooms, and the OP may well want the spotlights to illuminate something(s) continuously, not just when people move!

Kind Regards, John

You're right - it all depends how the cables are installed.

There is a risk to be aware of - you might think you can pull a 3C+E through to replace a twin&earth, and get it part way through and then have it get stuck, or come apart at the join, leaving you with no cable at all to the switch.

Would putting both existing lights on the same switch be acceptable? You could then use the other one for the new lights.

That is definitely something I am now considering. In fact, I forgot there's another switch at the other end of the room for the light that's closest to it. This would make it more acceptable now.

I was even toying with the idea of having the tiniest switch just below the coving since the ceiling isn't that high!

I have now seen some ceiling lights that have a sensor built in but unfortunately they're not the spotlight kind.

I really think there's a market for this if done properly and am sure someone will be capitalising on it soon.

Thank again, very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back