Lights in the ceiling without a wall switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have spotlights [LED] in my living room ceiling and I'm wondering if you absolutely have to have a switch on the wall for them?

For the sake of having to chase a wall for the switch, are there lights that can be turned off by remote control such using a sensor on one of the lights? I know there are ones that replace an existing wall switch but this would defeat the purpose of trying to avoid chasing into the wall in the first place.

Are there any other alternatives?

Please excuse any naivety on my part!

Sponsored Links
Thanks but to be honest this seems to show switches that you stick on walls or replace a light switch that is already connected to cables in the wall. ... Are there units that you stick under the floorboards that receive a signal from a remote to switch on the spotlights? I'm sorry but I just can't see any from that search.
There undoubtedly are wireless receiver switches such as you describe - but, as for the ones one commonly sees ... just because something is designed 'to be stuck on a wall' doesn't mean that it has to be - they could be located anywhere, although they would probably have to remain 'accessible' in some sense.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can see all these remote senders whether they are on the wall or not, but it is the receivers that I am scratching my head over.

All these remotes senders must be sending the signal to some device somewhere (apart from the receiving panels on the wall that simply replace a normal light switch) that actually switches on the lights in the ceiling!

It looks as if they are sold separately.

Would this be one of them?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Cont...sbs_diy_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BZ2E79NNZPMM7ETCMFZ

I think 333rocky333's link shows a photo of receivers but can't actually find the individual items.

Thanks for all your help.

A rough idea for starters

This is the controller that can be stuck on the wall.

JSJS LightwaveRF 2 Gang Wireless On/Off Light Switch White Plastic (JSJS LW206 WH)

to control one of these

JSJS LightwaveRF 2 Gang Wireless On/Off Light Switch White Plastic (JSJS LW206 WH)

in in the ceiling area.

Check the full specifications , I haven't

I would like to have spotlights [LED] in my living room ceiling and I'm wondering if you absolutely have to have a switch on the wall for them?

For the sake of having to chase a wall for the switch, are there lights that can be turned off by remote control such using a sensor on one of the lights? I know there are ones that replace an existing wall switch but this would defeat the purpose of trying to avoid chasing into the wall in the first place.

Are there any other alternatives?

Please excuse any naivety on my part!

Surely there is already a wall switch in your living room! If it does something else replace it for a double switch and pull out the existing twin and earth and replace it with triple and earth.

Another alternative is a pull switch as used in bathrooms.

I asked a similar question here a few weeks ago and someone kindly pointed me to a company that makes switches which have a pizoelectric(?) device in the switch so the act of flicking the switch generates a tiny amount of electricity that powers a wireless signal that triggers a wireless switch above your ceiling that controls the power to the lighting circuit. Or there are switches that are battery operated, batteries last a few years before needing to be replaced. I guess if you wait long enough it will come time to redecorate and you can chase the cable in then.

I don't suppose you have an external wall you could run the cable between switch and light along (or run it through the wall and up the wall in the room the other side) to avoid damaging your plaster?

Thanks but to be honest this seems to show switches that you stick on walls
Yes, because that's where most people expect to find light switches, rather than having to rummage behind the cushions on the sofa for a remote control that might work the lights, or the TV, or the PVR, or the DVD, or the CD.....

I thought that you didn't want to have to chase the wall for cables - you said nothing about not wanting a switch on the wall.

Are there units that you stick under the floorboards that receive a signal from a remote to switch on the spotlights? I'm sorry but I just can't see any from that search.
So what's a wireless switch on the wall if not a remote control?

Which links to wireless switches did you follow which led you to manufacturers or sellers who made or sold switches which were of no use whatsoever because they didn't also make or sell receivers which would work with the switches?

Here's what I see from that search:

screenshot_298.jpg

The very first non-sponsored advert link is to a product on Amazon.

And, oh - look:

screenshot_299.jpg

I think you should give serious consideration to getting an electrician - you really do not seem to actually understand what you need to do, or that if you want a remote, wireless control for a light you need to buy a transmitter and a receiver.

I've got a GET wireless scene setter controlling my bathroom lights. They do a handheld remote instead of a wall switch if you want. You just fit a receiver in the ceiling in line with the lights.

I didn't specifically need a wireless system but it was all I could find to do what I wanted at a sensible price. I have a standard switch unit to control them.

GET have been bought out by schneider, so I expect you'll need to search them now.

Thanks but to be honest this seems to show switches that you stick on walls
Yes, because that's where most people expect to find light switches, rather than having to rummage behind the cushions on the sofa for a remote control that might work the lights, or the TV, or the PVR, or the DVD, or the CD.....

I thought that you didn't want to have to chase the wall for cables - you said nothing about not wanting a switch on the wall.

Are there units that you stick under the floorboards that receive a signal from a remote to switch on the spotlights? I'm sorry but I just can't see any from that search.
So what's a wireless switch on the wall if not a remote control?

Which links to wireless switches did you follow which led you to manufacturers or sellers who made or sold switches which were of no use whatsoever because they didn't also make or sell receivers which would work with the switches?

Here's what I see from that search:

screenshot_298.jpg

The very first non-sponsored advert link is to a product on Amazon.

And, oh - look:

screenshot_299.jpg

I think you should give serious consideration to getting an electrician - you really do not seem to actually understand what you need to do, or that if you want a remote, wireless control for a light you need to buy a transmitter and a receiver.

Okay, judging from your sarcasm I can tell that you seem somehow to have been offended by my reply.

I do apolgise for any offense caused as it was not my intention at all. It now seems that I need to explain myself better and in more detail. I did say please excuse any naivety on my part from the beginning!

I had already made the effort by completing a search before starting this thread and found the same items - mostly wall switches. I also saw that receiver in Amazon you have posted (I had posted the same or similar earlier) and even though it is one of the first items listed (but only shows after clicking on the wall switch link) in the search, it appears to be just about the only receiver (can I use this one under the floorboards with LED?) that is reasonably clearly listed. There are a few others but don't seem to be for LED lights. I have found others on other sites such as eBay and Alibaba but seem to be quite scary as they are so cheap and no safety standards are given! Also, I don't know if these can or are designed to put under floorboards which was another reason to get help from this forum.

The point is and reason for posting for help is I'm trying to get an understanding of what items I need to buy and are available. I can see there are plenty of devices that "send" the signal such as wall switches. In my searches I was expecting to see an established market with an abundance of receivers that you simply stick under the floorboards and pair it with a remote/wireless switch regardless of whether it's attached to the wall or not (should've made that clearer!).

Again, and I'm sure it's just me being thick, after clicking on many links to these light switches, I just can't clearly see any receivers that are designed to work with these light switches.

It may well be that I will need to get an electrician if it is not a simple case of installing a receiver between lighting cables under the floorboards and several LED spotlights. I understand what I want but there doesn't seem to be much choice out there. If I can stick that Amazon one under the floorboards and attach it to LED spotlights in the ceiling then I will just go for that.

Thanks and my apologies again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back