Lighting wiring won’t fit in ceiling/pendant. Too bulky, alternatives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too long didn’t read: Individual terminal blocks and cables are too bulky to fit inside pendant housing. Ceiling wiring is too tight and tricky to fit into pendant’s built-in terminal.

Hello, I’m trying to replace two pendants in the kitchen, which have two separate light switches.

I’m comfortable with the wiring. The only issue is that there are so many screw terminals now that the whole wiring arrangement mess has become too bulky to fit in the little circular housing that screws into the ceiling.

The pendant came with a L/N/E terminal built into the housing itself, however the wiring from the ceiling was too tight and too short to pull through into this terminal, and after an hour of playing around and becoming frustrated I just attached the ceiling wiring to little individual screw terminals, and the pendant wiring was unscrewed from the built in terminals and placed into my individual terminals so I could have greater flexibility. Problem with the ceiling wires is that there’s far too many of them, eg 4 earth which makes things tricky. Below are some pictures of the arrangements.

It worked fine upon testing it dangling from the ceiling however afterwards I tried to brute force squeezing everything together and shoving it up on the ceiling and screwed into the ceiling anchor in a desperate attempt for it to work, and I believe my test bulb popped, not sure what happened.

Does anyone have a smart solution for this? Are there slimline terminals available or anything like this?

Many thanks.

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Ah ok, then your gonna have to neatly wago it on the ceiling avoiding the inners of the new light, it wont be easy.

Or get a roomier light.

Sponsored Links
If it was me I would strip a good 5cm of outer insulation off all those cables. Dress them such that all 3 lie flat, crossing the mounting bar in your first picture.

Clip off L/N on the chocblock on the light (keep PE) to save space. Use wagos to make the connections.

I agree with Fixingthingssometimes - remove more of the outer sheathing, so you have more scope to arrange the wires neatly.

The reds could go in a 5 amp connector block, which is smaller than the 15 amp ones you currently have on the ends of the ceiling wiring.

And those groups of 3 heatshrinked and ferruled conductors from the fitting are quite bulky and quite short which may be restricting how the three plate wiring can be dressed. Personnaly I leave them in the connector blocks in the fitting, ensure they are flat to the metal work, and then strip down a few inches of 3c 0.75 to make some some 'pig-tails' and preattach them to the fitting. These days I like to use wagos to attach to the wiring from the ceiling, but not everyone has them to hand, and we always managed with connector blocks before wagos were a thing

On a fitting like that with the slots for the mounting screws make sure the screws are started in the threads in the brakcet first then you are not dropping them all over the floor while holding the fitting in one hand

By the time you have swung the bracket to the left to get the other screw in you might be able to get the cables to come down on either side of the bracket and if all else fails you could narrow the middle slightly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back