Lighting Wiring

Cheers mate,

The Lengthing of the cables is not a problem, ignore that comment lol

The earth bit, what I mean is in the Existing Light Fitting, there is the Screw Holder, and I cant confirm until unscrewed the cables, but has a Green/Yellow(earth) cable going in either side of the Screw Fitting(just one Screw, not a Junction box).

Where as the once above has just the one earth cable going into Screw Fitting(just one Screw, not a Junction box).

So, going by advice given, I am going to just attach the Earth Cable from New Light Fitting into the Screw Fitting with other Earth Wires coming from Ceiling.

On terms of the Earth cables Connecting, what I mean, is, all Earth cables will just be going into this one Screw Fitting so will be touching, however each cable has the little copper bit on end of cable to cover bare wires sticking out of Plastic Covering, so if these copper bits are all in the Screw Fitting Touching, should this be fine?

Sponsored Links
The earth bit, what I mean is in the Existing Light Fitting…has a Green/Yellow(earth) cable going in either side of the Screw Fitting(just one Screw, not a Junction box).
That’s sounds OK – that is the way it was designed.

Where as the once above has just the one earth cable going into Screw Fitting(just one Screw, not a Junction box).
That’s sounds OK – that is the way it was designed.

So, going by advice given, I am going to just attach the Earth Cable from New Light Fitting into the Screw Fitting with other Earth Wires coming from Ceiling.
The earth wire in the new light fitting should be left where it is.
What you do is use a wire to connect the middle terminal in the light fitting to the earth terminal in the ceiling. Is that clear?

On terms of the Earth cables Connecting, what I mean, is, all Earth cables will just be going into this one Screw Fitting so will be touching, however each cable has the little copper bit on end of cable to cover bare wires sticking out of Plastic Covering, so if these copper bits are all in the Screw Fitting Touching, should this be fine?
Yes, but you could use green/yellow sleeving to cover any excessively exposed copper up to the earth terminal.

Right, all sounds clear now

So the earth Wire in the Ceiling leave where it is, and also leave the Earth wire for Light Fitting where it is, and just get another piece of cable that will go from Junction box in New Light where it says put earth Terminal to the Screw Fitting in the Ceiling where Ceiling Earth Goes and that should be okay.

If i do it this way, what sort of extra cable bit do I use, as in special Earth cable?

Also, there is quite a lot of slack on the Ceiling Earth Cable, so could always, take this out of screw fitting and attach into Earth Place in New Light Junction box to connect to Earths up. That would be fine i guess

Right, all sounds clear now
Good. But…

So the earth Wire in the Ceiling leave where it is, and also leave the Earth wire for Light Fitting where it is, and just get another piece of cable that will go from Junction box in New Light where it says put earth Terminal to the Screw Fitting in the Ceiling where Ceiling Earth Goes and that should be okay.
Yes.

If i do it this way, what sort of extra cable bit do I use, as in special Earth cable?
As I have previously suggested, why not use 3 core 6 Amp flex for all connections?

Also, there is quite a lot of slack on the Ceiling Earth Cable, so could always, take this out of screw fitting and attach into Earth Place in New Light Junction box to connect to Earths up. That would be fine i guess.
Yes. But my preference would be to leave the ceiling cables alone and use linking wires between the terminals in the ceiling rose and the terminals in the light fitting for all three connections - live, neutral and earth.

Sponsored Links
Right, just checked that site again and you are right as you probably know lol

Gonna get some of these cables which would mean I don't have to move any of the cables, and can just fasten one end of cable in screw fit for earth and Junction box for Live and Neutral and other end in the little Junction box that came with New Light Fitting

Will pop to Maplin and get some from there

Just need to make sure that my fitting and ceiling Rose will go over the Old one, otherwise will have to purchas another Junction box to house the other cables

...Will pop to Maplin and get some from there
Just need to make sure that my fitting and ceiling Rose will go over the Old one, otherwise will have to purchas another Junction box to house the other cables
While you're at Maplins, buy a 15 Amp choc-block strip connector just in case.

And there was me thinking he just wanted to show a fat bird on a ladder...

After careful consideration, I believe I have identified the photographer’s intent of depicting the conflict between societal expectations of monogamous nest-building and the instinctive desire of man to impregnate every female he meets.
Every one?

And there was me thinking he just wanted to show a fat bird on a ladder...

After careful consideration, I believe I have identified the photographer's intent of depicting the conflict between societal expectations of monogamous nest-building and the instinctive desire of man to impregnate every female he meets.
Every one?
I don't think she would notice if she got impregnated ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back