Lighting with built in occupancy switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have 8 of these lights installed in an office, the lights are turned on by a standard switch on the wall but their built it occupancy sensors must then be activated for the lights to illuminate.

The lighting is causing numerous complaints amongst staff as they do not seem to be set up correctly and are switching off far too quickly and frequently, because each light has its own sensor you have to walk around the room to activate all of the lights.

My question is, generally speaking can these lights be modified so that the built in sensor is "bridged out"

Can I do this as a person with basic knowledge of wiring, or is this a job for a qualified spark?

Sponsored Links
It's completely dependent on the type and make of the units and how they were installed.

Do you own the office or is it rented and managed ?

I'm thinking insurance and liability issues with you poking about, it is after all a commercial premises and as such I would suggest that you CYA by using a approved contractor to check the flexibility of the OS system and carry out any necessary tweaks.

Thanks Chri5, probaly a good idea, especially seen as i've had a closer look and found all kinds of other nasties (couldnt get a Z's reading from 4 of the 8 lights)

I've answered my own question though with these lights, cutting power to the sensor seems to do with the trick, managed to test it on a spare light I found in the cupboard.

An re the location, its a school so will be relying on council sparks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back