lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!! :cry:
Ive just moved into a new house, i wanted to change a single light into a triple. Ive wired it all up however when i turn the mains power back on, the new light stays on whether the switch is on or off and all the other lights work. when i try and change the wires, the triple light works and all the one in the other rooms don't. The wires are 3 red 3 black and 3 green/green. Please advice.

Sponsored Links
you connected your light across red and black didn't you!

you had 3 reds connected together
two blacks connected together
1 black on its own
all earth wires connected together

you should connect the light across the two blacks (neutral) and the single black (live)

Sponsored Links
it should be marked with red tape, if it isnt, you should use a meter to find which it is.

I will asuume there is no red tape, try connecting the light across 2 blacks PUT A CHOC BLOC ON THE 3rd, Do this untill you find the two which DO NOT LIGHT as these will both be neutral. you then can put these two together and the third black is your switch wire (this you then use as the live and if you have any red tape, put some on for future reference)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back