lights are dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a dimmer switch but the lights upstairs (downstairs is a dimmer and up stair in a normal switch), but the light are not bright, they are very dimm.

help :cry:

Sponsored Links
Did you wire up the new dimmer the same as the old one? What conductors are there at each switch?

Why did you replace it - cosmetic reasons or was it broken?

The upstairs light had stopped working.

The nomal switch connection: 2 red wires in the 2 way, Black and blue wires are in the 1way slot and yellow cable is in the comm.

Downstairs: yellow int the ~ slot, blue in the L1 and black in the L2.

But the second dimmer down stairs has a red and black and earth but no matter which combination I try the light down stairs is also dimmer!

Could this have to do with the connection at the junction box?

thanks

Do you mean that you have got two dimmers on the same circuit?
That wont work unless they are a special master/slave pair.

Sponsored Links
I have just tried to switch the circuits on/off and it seem to be on different circuits!!

I've been trying to sort this for a couple of days now but it annoying now.

I'm struggling to understand what you've done.

1) Did you replace a dimmer switch with a dimmer switch?

2) Did you make a note of what wires went where on the old dimmer and replicate that with the new?

I have just tried to switch the circuits on/off and it seem to be on different circuits!!

I've been trying to sort this for a couple of days now but it annoying now.
Try and isolate which 2 conductors are linked to your light; -you will have 2 cables going to your bulb holder, you need to verify which 2 cables they link back to at the switch.
The one going to the centre is your live, and comes from the dimmer out. (the sqiggle)
The other is your neutral and will be fed from a blue (hopefully) cable via a little block.
The L1, L2 and C should link to the the same L1, L2 and C in the light switch upstairs, but as mentioned if that's a dimmer as well you need to have bought them as a set, a master and slave; -the linking needs to be as the instructions.
Remember to link the switch (if it's metal) to the earth tag on the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back