Dimmable lights hardly dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some new fire rated IP65 dimmable down lights fitted. I'm so disappointed as they hardly dim at all and yet the small icon suggests that they should dim quite a bit. They are Luceco 5W integrated, from Tool Station but I'm now wondering whether I'd have been better investing in Enlite (I have Enlite in the bathroom and am delighted with them).
Firstly a little about the set up. The 3 gang 2 way dimmer switch in the downstairs hall works both upstairs and downstairs lights (the 3rd gang is for the outside light), Upstairs the 2 gang switch works the bathroom and on/off for the upstairs lights but I'm informed I can only work the dimmer from downstairs and can't use a dimmer switch upstairs for the hall.
Also wondering whether it may have anything to do with there being a 2way switch involved, given, I can only dim from down stairs. By the way they are in the hall so don't actually need to be IP65. Any one else have this problem or any suggested solutions?

Sponsored Links
Do I take it that the new lights you got are LED ones and that the dimmers worked satisfactorily with whatever lights you previously had? Were those previous lights LED ones as well? If not, the problem could well be that the dimmers you have are not suitable for dimming LED lights.

Kind Regards, John

On a lot of dimmer switches you can remove the actual electronic part in the back. So if you have matching face plates don't worry

Had to change one in a double dimmer switch once when installed new led lights

Just Google search for a dimmer switch compatible with leds.

Do I take it that the new lights you got are LED ones and that the dimmers worked satisfactorily with whatever lights you previously had? Were those previous lights LED ones as well? If not, the problem could well be that the dimmers you have are not suitable for dimming LED lights.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks John. These are newly installed dimmers, previously we had a centre light with a bayonet bulb non-dimmable, non-LED. Whilst the new lights dim slightly (say by 80%) they do not dim right down. The dimmer switch is British General and the lights Luceco.

Sponsored Links
On a lot of dimmer switches you can remove the actual electronic part in the back. So if you have matching face plates don't worry

Had to change one in a double dimmer switch once when installed new led lights

Just Google search for a dimmer switch compatible with leds.

Many thanks Thomas. if this is done, will the dimmer still work?

Many thanks John. These are newly installed dimmers, previously we had a centre light with a bayonet bulb non-dimmable, non-LED. Whilst the new lights dim slightly (say by 80%) they do not dim right down. The dimmer switch is British General and the lights Luceco.
Sorry, to 80%. (They only dim by about 20%)

A lot of dimmer switches are just a module bolted in the back of the face plate so if replaced with a dimmer it will still dim

Its a dimmer module. I assume you want to keep the existing plate as it is already serving two other circuits?? You just remove the existing module and put the LED dimmer in to replace it.

Or you'd need to find a matching dimmer switch that will work Ok with your LED light and the other two circuits.

Firstly a little about the set up. The 3 gang 2 way dimmer switch in the downstairs hall works both upstairs and downstairs lights (the 3rd gang is for the outside light), Upstairs the 2 gang switch works the bathroom and on/off for the upstairs lights.

So you want to be able to dim upstairs and downstairs hall lights and the outside light? Why? These are all places that need decent lighting. Don't want to trip coming down the stairs because someone has dimmed the lights.
Also consider having the bathroom switch inside the bathroom so someone can't plunge you into darkness while in the bath or shower.

Just to back up what the others say, I have come across fuse boxes in external cabinets many times in my career. I have never heard any complaints about them being switched off, despite being accessible by miscreants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back