Dimmable Spot Lights Not Dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally i had 2 spot lights running of a normal on-off flick switch. I wanted to be able to dim them, so proceeded to change the switch to a dimmer switch. Before I turned the electricity back on i noticed that the transformers above the spots were "non-dimmable", so i chnaged them for dimmable transformers and at the same time changed the light and wiring arrangments for new ones. I then turned the electricity back on to find that the lights didn't come on at all. I read the instructions for the new lights to discover that they are "dimmable without the need for a transformer", so i removed the tranformer from the circuit and wire it as the instructions said. The lights now come on, but they are not dimmable. I know the switch is OK as it came straight out of service in my lounge where it worked perfectly well. So, does anyone have any ideas why the lights won't dim?

Sponsored Links
If the dimmer just turns the lights on/off, and the lights don't have transformers (i.e. they are 230V ones), then the dimmer is broken.

If you want to confirm this, put the dimmer back in the lounge and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back