Will dimmer switch still turn on non dimmable lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing a double light switch for a dimmable switch.

One of the lights is dimmable, the other is for the undercabinet lights I don't think are dimmable.

Will a dimmable switch still turn on the undercabinet lights? Just not dim them?

Sponsored Links
It will probably make the under unit lights flicker, or flash, or generally play up in an unhealthy way.

On the new dimmer switch, remove one of the dimmer modules, and replace with a 'dummy dimmer'. This is a switch with a round knob which looks like a dimmer, but is in fact just an on or off switch only.

It will probably make the under unit lights flicker, or flash, or generally play up in an unhealthy way.

On the new dimmer switch, remove one of the dimmer modules, and replace with a 'dummy dimmer'. This is a switch with a round knob which looks like a dimmer, but is in fact just an on or off switch only.

Thanks. I will test and if it plays up change the module.

Sponsored Links
There is no guarantee that even with dimmable bulbs it will not flash or flicker, the old EU rules say if not dimmable it must say so on the bulb, but it does not say with what it can be dimmed with, so you have all sorts of dimming methods, first I used was series/parallel switching used with old cine lights, also seen rods which are dropped in liquid, but in the house we have 2 x 2 types of dimmer, first pair is leading or lagging, second pair with or without a neutral, and then as well is the size, some only go down to around 20 watt and some will only go up to 100 watt, there are 5 watt to 400 watt versions, but just having a dimmable bulb and a dimmer does not mean it will work.

In the main a dimmer switch or for that matter any electronic switch which does not use a neutral has a lower limit of 5 watt, and it seems to be bulb size rather than cumulative bulb sizes. So 5 x 2.4 watt G9 bulbs did not work, but one 5 watt G9 bulb did, the problem is the resistors used to allow a small current to work the switch without lighting the light produce heat, so the very small bulbs don't have them built in.

Toroidal transformers and wire wound ballast have an in-rush current, which most dimmer switches can't handle. This does not mean they can't be dimmed, it just makes it harder, I have a variable transformer with an output zero to 250 volt and I am sure if I mounted it in a box with cooling fan it would dim nearly any bulb which does not require a strike voltage or has built in regulation. But it was expensive and would not fit in a standard switch back box, but if this will dim a bulb, then the bulb is dimmable, even if not dimmable with a normal dimming switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back