spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed 9x50watt dimmable halogen downlights transformer free i also changed the dimmer switch to a 500watt the lights worked fine for 3 days now they wont dim they stay full on why?

Sponsored Links
most likely the dimmer wasn't suitable for nearly 500W of halogen. the ratings quoted are usually only for gls lamps.

halogens run hot, this means that for a given hot resistance the cold resistance is lower and therefore the inrush current is higher. and i'm pretty sure its the inrush current that causes most of the stress on a dimmers triac.

old rule of thumb for halogens was the rating of the dimmer should be double the rating of the lamps but this is probablly being more conserative than actually nessacery. the dimmer manufacturer should be able to tell you the needed derating factor.

Yeah, triac in the dimmer has overheated and 'stuck' on, triacs seem to have somewhat of a habbit of failing on, resolution is to replace the dimmer, paying attention to plugwashs comments about de-rating it for a halogen load

Sponsored Links
try getting a danlers dimmer or a varilight dimmer-

varilight do a 1000w one which will do, i think it doesn't have to be derated for mains halogen

PS watch the lamps if they are unbranded swap them for branded ones whichshould be internally fused.

try osram, phillips or sylvania as they are good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back