Dimmable not Dimming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I finally mangaged to replace what was an old Dimmable Transformer with a nice new Dimmable Transformer...

However, all the spotlights (bar one, which i think has a faulty cable cos I changed the bulb!) come on but will not dim!

Erm, not sure what has happened!

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
LOL

Yes quite right! Electrics and me are not on the same terms especially Transformers!

The transformer is new, so is there a seperate component that deals with the dimming side!

I'll try not to have any other issues with Dimming Spots!

;)

Sponsored Links
most transformers are not a true transformer.

a true transformer is a oil of wire wound on a former then there is another coil on the other part of the former.

mains current in the primary coil creates a moving magnetic field in the secondary coil, this makes an electrical voltage / current. its called induction

that is why a transformer is so heavy. (its copper and iron) they usually last for years as there are no moving parts, and little to go wrong (except when they explode )

the ones you have are electronic transformers TBH i am not 100% sure how they actually work.

Many thanks for all your replies guys.

If the spotlight bulb blew would that possibly knock out the dimmer also? I guess if that was the case I would have to replace the dimmer switch?

Thanks again everyone!

the ones you have are electronic transformers TBH i am not 100% sure how they actually work.
AFAIK they are a bit like switch-mode power supplies, where the input voltage is rectified, then put through an inverter which produces a high frequency AC voltage, which then goes into a transformer & output regulation stage. The reason for doing all this is that high frequency transformers are smaller & lighter than 50Hz ones.

Of course they lack the feedback regulation usually used in SMPSUs which makes them immune to input voltage variations over a wide range, otherwise you wouldn't be able to dim them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back