Weatherproof Dimmable Lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have power already installed in my garden (part p covered) and have also purchased a Velda 4-way socket ( http://www.velda.com/L02p4000.php?id=100473 ) that allows switching lights, pumps etc on and off remotely. One of the sockets has a dimming function that I would like to make use of for adding 2 spotlights to my garden, does anyone know the best way to approach this? are there IP rated dimmable lights or would I need a dimmable transformer then connect the lights to this? Any help / product suggestions much appreciated - Thanks

Sponsored Links
all lights are dimable. (except sodium, mercury etc and CFL's) providing they have a dimable transformer if they need one

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated

Crafty - The aim of making the lights dimmable is to allow me to view the landscaped garden at night from my lounge that overlooks the garden and be able to use the same lights when having a BBQ in the evening etc

Breezer - Thanks, I'll check out some dimmable transformers and attach a couple of lights, this could be the easiest option for me. Do you know if low voltage lights would be ok for this?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
munia said:
Breezer - Thanks, I'll check out some dimmable transformers and attach a couple of lights, this could be the easiest option for me. Do you know if low voltage lights would be ok for this?

If the transformer is dimmable then there will be no problem using low voltage lights, and if you keep the transformer housed indoors then it will make for a much safer DIY installation compared to the use of mains lighting.

Again, I can't see the point of dimming either. Anything you install for landscaping will surely be angled towards features in the garden and you'll want the fittings to be as small and unobtrusive as possible. They aren't going to provide enough lighting for you to have a BBQ in the dark as well.

Is this 4 way socket thing approved for use in this country as it has Schuko style plugs on it in the picture you have shown like the ones used in germany and the netherlands.

Nick

did you watch the video clip?

I would say its a foreign made bit of kit, so they use the foreign picture, but the uk version has UK sockets.

But i do have to agrree , there is no point in dimming thje lights, also that bit of kit only has one dimable socket.

back to the lights, most sheds sell lighting kits , average lamp is 5w (yes i know, but i did say average)

what is the point of going from dim to extra dim?

any reasonable amount of light should be pointed at an object to light it, i.e garden tree, plant statue (no its me) these lights will be of no use for a bbq, but will lokk nice to light your garden, but not to see by.

I would suggest you have waht i have, a string of lights (made for the purpose) suspended high up. nice pretty colours, not too bright, but bright enough to see by

Thanks for the info - I see your point about dimming already fairly dim lights...didn't really put much thought in to that one did I ;)

I also like the idea about string of lights...did you make these or can I purchase off the shelf? I have seen some on the net but they don't seem very bright - links to any products would be very helpful

Thanks to all that have responded - I think i'll spend a bit more time weighing up the options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back