Dimming LED Spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a bunch of GU10 spotlights in our living room (unfortunatley!) and have replaced the 50w bulbs with 9w dimmable LED units.

I'd like to swap our light switch for a dimmer, but I'm not sure if anything else would be required for LED lighting..

The lights are 240v and AFAIK there is no transformer or anything like that located in the ceiling (though I didn't fit them so can't be sure).

The bulbs we have are dimmable and the seller states 'Dimmable with Linear AC Transformer' which is the bit I'm not too sure on..
I've had a look and the Varilight V-Pro Eclipse (we'd like a touch/remote switch) says it's designed for LED lighting, but would anything else be required?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Have you replaced the whole unit or just replaced the bulbs because unless the led bulb has a built in driver its likely not to work properly.

Firstly you need to add up the load because most dimmers come with a range 60/400w or 40/250w.
As far as the make, some bulb manufacturers provide a list of 'compatible' dimmers - if they do not then you have to be guided by the dimmer manufactures and the range.

Just be careful when wiring the switch because it is extremely easy to blow the dimmer by incorrectly wiring it - especially as dimmer manufacturers seem to be using the same symbols that have different meanings - so read the instructions very carefully before your start.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, by the whole unit I assume you mean the actual light recepticle?

If so then, no I haven't - We just swapped out the 50w Halogens for the LED bulbs (which work fine with a normal on/off switch).

The Varilight V-Pro says it's designed for LED lights so I'm guessing the minimum load is very low (but I haven't seen a value for this).
There are 8 lights in total, and each LED bulb is 9w so we should be pulling 72w at maximum brightness.

I'm not sure if the bulbs have a driver (or how I can tell?) - It's the 'dimmable with linear AC transformer' that is confusing me, I'm not sure if this is a function of the dimmer switch it-self or something extra that has to sit in-line.

Cheers

The Varilight V-Pro says it's designed for LED lights so I'm guessing the minimum load is very low (but I haven't seen a value for this).
There are 8 lights in total, and each LED bulb is 9w so we should be pulling 72w at maximum brightness.
Its the minimum value that often causes the problems - flashing Led's are all rage ;)

I'm not sure if the bulbs have a driver (or how I can tell?) - It's the 'dimmable with linear AC transformer' that is confusing me, I'm not sure if this is a function of the dimmer switch it-self or something extra that has to sit in-line.
If it works then the drive is in built into the bulb.
Regard the linear AC transformer I can see why that is confusing - and like the dimmer manufacturers the bulb people have their own terminolgy which often can mean different things.

Who makes the new bulbs?

Sponsored Links
Your varilight dimmer has a minimum load of 10w and minimum of 2 leds per dimmer so that should work with the number you have.
I cannot see any obvious reason why you should not use this dimmer.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have some 54 led lamps (from RS components part 715 8370) and find them plenty bright enough for all normal use, they are rated at 2.7watts. One problem is that the leds protrude at the front and so will not fit in downlights, I use them on a light bar in GU10 holders.

Great thanks very much for the help :)

As for the bulbs they are pretty bright, the beam on these is slightly narrower than halogen bulbs but they aren't bad at all.

Homebase were doing a deal on dimmer GU10 4W LED`s. £9.99 each I bought one to try and now have 12 of them. The light is good and well spread and the brightness is not much different. And the best is watching the energy monitor hardly move when all switched on :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back