Dimmable cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently fitting some wardrobes and would like to have some lights under the bridging units above the bed, preferably dimmable.

I'm thinking LED and there are plenty of small LED cabinet lights but as far as I can tell they're not dimmable and obviously there are GU10, etc. type dimmables but can't see them being practical for putting under the units.

Any ideas if there is anything that could work the way I want?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Another question: There are dimmable LED drivers which output 12V, would they work with under cabinet LED lights and be dimmable?

I bought some LED lamps GU10 at just 0.58W from Pound World you can guess price :LOL:

With with my two way switching these never go off they stay on dim all the time. So I would guess a capacitor and a two way centre off switch could work to dim these lamps.

One only lights 6 of the 9 LED's when off so bit hit and miss but it is an idea. Maybe not a good one but never the less an idea.

Been fitted now 3 weeks being on dim does not seem to harm them however other makes from what has been said on this forum instead of coming on dim flash. Clearly as not designed to dim only way is to try them.

Sponsored Links
Your second question depends on lights used. To get extra power from LED's it is common to send a series of pulses to them at a higher than rated current.

Many dimming units also sin wave cut or pulse very quickly the output.

Where both are put together there is a chance one will upset the other so will not work as expected. Likely loads of odd flashes.

I didn't really want to use a GU10 as it would require drilling a big hole in the base of the cupboards and having the connector wotsit sticking into where clothes/stuff will be. Might be the only option to have proper dimmable LEDs underneath though.

Your second question depends on lights used. To get extra power from LED's it is common to send a series of pulses to them at a higher than rated current.

Many dimming units also sin wave cut or pulse very quickly the output.

Where both are put together there is a chance one will upset the other so will not work as expected. Likely loads of odd flashes.

Right, that makes sense. I think my only options are 230V dimmable downlights which means I'll need to make a cover/shelf/something for the light fitting where it comes into the cupboard. Might be the best option for what I want.

That or non-dimmable small round teeny weeny things. Shame there isn't the option of that sort dimmable :(

I think the best option is going to be a flexible LED strip with an in-line dimmer, warm white, 2.5m for £32.

Or to be really fun have a colour changing remote controlled set for £42! That sounds tempting :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back