How to tell LED GU10 Dimmable or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some LED GU10's and have thrown away the packaging. I cannot see on the lamp anything to say if they are dimmable or not.

I have one I know is and one I don't know for sure.

Is there any way of telling, apart from putting them in a fitting and seeing what happens. If I did that will it knacker the lamp/dimmer if its not dimmable? (Its a LED dimmer)

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
EU regulations state it must state if not dimmable. So
not%20dimmable.jpg
must be displayed if not dimmable.

However in real terms to dim a low wattage lamp is not easy. In the main it means neutral supply to dimming switch which is not normal. We use protocols like 5 ~ 20 mA so first 5 mA is used to supply the device and the 5 to 20 mA says how the device is read. This means first one watt does nothing only over one watt will the light come on. And limit is 4.5 watt so not really a good system. So one has to use a dimmer switch and bulb which are matched so although bulb is dimmable, it does not mean your dimmer will work with it.

I have some LED GU10's and have thrown away the packaging. I cannot see on the lamp anything to say if they are dimmable or not.

I have one I know is and one I don't know for sure.
Then use the unknown one somewhere where it won't be on a dimmer and buy a replacement. And if you have multiple lights on one switch, I'd not be surprised to learn that it is advisable for them all to be the same.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back