Lights fluctuate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I use my power saw or router on the garage ring circuit (13amp of course) the lights fluctuate or dim slightly on initial start up is this normal?

Power run from 15amp wired house fuse, in what looks like armoured cable, to double pole switch in garage then on to a MCB C,U. lights are strip + a bar with 3 main mini spots

Sponsored Links
It is pretty normal for a heavy load such as a motor to dip the supply when it first kicks in.
As for the setup if you can post some photos someone will be able to say how good it is.

When I use my power saw or router on the garage ring circuit (13amp of course) the lights fluctuate or dim slightly on initial start up is this normal?

Power run from 15amp wired house fuse, in what looks like armoured cable, to double pole switch in garage then on to a MCB C,U. lights are strip + a bar with 3 main mini spots

Many thanks spark 123
the existing is about 5yr old cable wired and tested ok with a Wickes CU
MCB with trip fuses so no problem with safety, I was just currious as to why the lights dipped.

to throw in an analogy..

cable is like a water pipe..
you can only get so much water through it at a time..

if you have the bathroom sink tap on, and then turn on the bath tap, the water comming from the sink tap reduces to a dribble...

Sponsored Links
to throw in an analogy..

cable is like a water pipe..
you can only get so much water through it at a time..

if you have the bathroom sink tap on, and then turn on the bath tap, the water comming from the sink tap reduces to a dribble...

although I cliked on the 'thanks', I would like to add, I never thought of it that way, a good explanation.
greengrass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back