Lights in 'Fire Ceiling'.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Knowledgeable ones.

What are the regulations associated with penetrating a fire ceiling for lighting cables?

I have got an integral garage, below a bedroom, and I want to put in a pendant light and 2 flourescent strips as garage lighting.

The garage ceiling is yet to go in, but when it does it will be Fire grade plaster board, with a plaster skim

If I run the cables in the ceiling void, what special arrangements do I need to make where the cables come down through the ceiling?

How about an intumescent sealant such as ...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...1Qnm9Py67x32hnnyF26MQ7YtPT27xdDQy9!-286255262

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
If you use a sealant as per your link, you'll be sticking the light fitting to the ceiling, which will make repairs and lamp changes later on difficult without damaging the ceiling. get fire-rated light fittigns whcih come with an intumescent seal ring which does the same job.

PJ

....... get fire-rated light fittigns whcih come with an intumescent seal ring .......PJ

I have see down lights with intumescent seal rings, but I don't want those.

I am interested in how to seal the hole where the cables poke through for a ceiling rose of a fluorescent strip.

There are cable collars available for about £10, and there are conventional fire hoods designed for downlighters, but I would have thought that there would be a simpler (cheaper) solution, if the hole was only big enough for the cable to poke through.

An alternative (less attractive) solution would be to keep all cables below the ceiling, and run them in white conduit, but I would prefer to avoid that option.

It's a garage, not a lounge.

How much time will you spend in there admiring the lovely ceiling?

Get yourself a conduit bender and stock & die set, and go for the industrial look.

Sponsored Links
Don't be rediculous.

Run your cables in the void, and where they penetrate the plasterboard keep the hole as small as you can, and then seal around the cable with intumescent mastic. Make sure you fill the hole nice and deep and you'll be fine.

It's a garage, not a lounge.

Correct, but I want a luxury workshop for working on my cars and bikes. If you want to make comparisons to rooms that it is not, then I would say that it is going to be like a sinkless kitchen with a really big sectional up and over door !

But then again, it is a garage, not a kitchen, so there is no need to mention it !

How much time will you spend in there admiring the lovely ceiling?

If the rest of my ultimate DIY project is anything to go by - Quite a long time is the answer to that question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back