Lighting - large ceiling rose required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Previous occupants of our flat installed some strange ceiling lights, which required a larger than normal hole in the plaster on the ceiling for the wires. They took the fitting with them, leaving us with an ugly metal plate fixed across the hole and a bare bulb.

Ideally I'd simply have taken off the entire fitting just leaving the wires, bought a bog standard plastic ceiling pendant (like this one: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15459...Sockets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-Pendant-Set) and fixed it to the ceiling covering the hole.

However, the hole is too big and the is no way of fixing the pendant to the ceiling (the holes to attach it are too close to bridge the hole in the ceiling)

I cannot find, anywhere, plastic ceiling pendant larger than 85mm diameter. If I could find one that was 120mm or more, the problem would be solved.

Does anyone know of where I might find a large version of the bog standard plastic pendant light?

Thanks v much

Nick

Sponsored Links
Repairing the hole is the backup plan, but I'd be happier fixing it into the original ceiling than anything I use to fill the hole.

Is it a pendant or ceiling mounted light you desire, there are a whole host of varying sizes, that are bigger than the standard ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
A pendant light. Seems all there is available is 3" and 3.5" diameter bases, were we need something more like 6". It's one of those rooms where a ceiling mounted light wouldn't look good, which is very annoying!

Well it depends on your personal tastes, to the type of light you require and internet browsing will not always show the size of the ceiling mounting.
But I would suggest you go out and about in to show rooms and view the displays.
Argos do sell one or two lights with bigger roses as do many others

You really need to fix a ceiling rose into a joist or noggin or even a bit of batten between joists, not just into plasterboard or laths.

If you need to conceal the hole then you can get plaster, plastic or polystyrene ceiling roses (of the ornamental cornicing sort, not electrical) to fix to the ceiling, make a hole in the middle and poke the wires through, then fix the electrical rose with long screws through the plaster rose and into the joist/batten etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back