Are UK ceiling rose covers universal?

After...

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_104539015.jpg
    IMG_20180625_104539015.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
It took me ages. About an hour and a half including finding tools and dropping the tiny screws on the floor etc.

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

Sponsored Links
I once taught a classful of mature students to fit a 13A plug to a power lead.
I impressed on them that they should listen carefully to all instructions.
One thought they would ignore that and get ahead of the game by completely dismantling the plug...

... I impressed on them that they should listen carefully to all instructions.
One thought they would ignore that and get ahead of the game by completely dismantling the plug...
There's always one :)

Demonstrating (as well as explaining) is worth a thousand verbal instructions. I remember that, at school ('English'), they tried to teach us how to give totally clear verbal instructions, by putting someone (sometimes the teacher!) behind a screen, instructed to obey all instructions totally literally, and to get someone else (who couldn't see the 'subject') to 'instruct' the person how to undertake seemingly 'simple' tasks, like tying a tie or shoelace, brushing their teeth, opening a can of baked beans etc. - and it proved to be extraordinary difficult to instruct the person verbally in order to get the desired result!

Kind Regards, John

The next one will take less time.
When I was checking over the other fittings looking for a brand mark I noticed that the cables were wrapped around the cordgrip a different way, and they don't have the extra cable grip tab inside the rose cover. (visible on my first 'after' photo.) The wires looked strained, and some have glass shades on which are heavier than fabric ones. So hopefully I will speed up as I do some more...

Demonstrating (as well as explaining) is worth a thousand verbal instructions. I remember that, at school ('English'), they tried to teach us how to give totally clear verbal instructions, by putting someone (sometimes the teacher!) behind a screen, instructed to obey all instructions totally literally, and to get someone else (who couldn't see the 'subject') to 'instruct' the person how to undertake seemingly 'simple' tasks, like tying a tie or shoelace, brushing their teeth, opening a can of baked beans etc. - and it proved to be extraordinary difficult to instruct the person verbally in order to get the desired result!
That explains a lot. :LOL:

That explains a lot. :LOL:
If you mean that 'personally', I don't think I did any worse than anyone else, and certainly a lot better than some.

Just find a pedantic person who 'takes everything literally' and try to explain to them over the phone how to tie a tie or shoelaces - it ain't at all easy :)

Kind Regards, John

On a training course once we had a little exercise designed to show the importance of 2-way communications/feedback when giving instructions. The task was to assemble one of those Christmas cracker type puzzles - half a dozen odd shaped bits of card that could be put together to make a letter "T". Those giving the instructions had theirs assembled, the other group did not, and the rule was that the only comms allowed was from givers to takers.

Neither side could see the other.

All the pieces were different colours, so of course by far and away the easiest way to describe each piece was "the blue one", "the red one", etc.

Thing was, the two puzzles, whilst the pieces were the same shape in each, the colours weren't.

Yes, we also did that - to illustrate that, whilst one-way verbal instructions were very difficult to get right, once one introduced verbal 'feedback' everything got quite a lot easier (but still not all that easy!)

Those who write rules, regulations. legislation etc. obviously have some similar problems to those who attempt to give one-way verbal instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back