fire rated Downlights building regs

• Thread starter Richard Caville
  • Start date
R

Richard Caville

Ive been looking at the fire rated downlights in screwfix catalogue for a garage part conversion into a craft room - it is an integrated garage with door into bungalow....building regs parts B, C, E, L1 & L2 are quoted on various lights at different prices. The loft gives access to the lights and the cabling when lights are fitted into holes in ceiling, & obviously an electrician will check & connect it all.

Dont want to spend a fortune but need to get correct rating & depth. Which compliant light will be suitable for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Aurora downlights seem to cover most reg with a wide variety of choice (not the cheapest though but good quality). However just go onto the screwfix website and they have plenty of fire rated etc... ones to choose from.

obviously an electrician will check & connect it all.
Yes, obviously.

Does he know yet that he is going to do that?

Does the nature of the conversion you are doing mean you need Building Regulations approval or Planning Permission?

Dont want to spend a fortune but need to get correct rating & depth. Which compliant light will be suitable for this?
Have you considered Plan B - not using lights which need you to cut holes in the ceiling?

Do you need fire rated?

Are downlights suitable for a craft room?

Are holes in the ceiling to a loft area a good idea?

Sponsored Links
It's been a while since I've peeked at the regs but I thought that fire rated were only needed in a ceiling used as a fire barrier such as a kitchen or actual garage.. where combustion might occur..?
If the garage is being converted into habitable space does it still need to be fire rated?
I know loft conversions tend to be because of escape routes etc but a ( presumably ) ground floor room?

It's been a while since I've peeked at the regs but I thought that fire rated were only needed in a ceiling used as a fire barrier such as a kitchen or actual garage.. where combustion might occur..?
Possibly/probably a garage with accommodation above it. However, beyond that, I thought that the requirement for fire-barrier ceilings/floors was when they were between different dwellings (e.g. flats).

In a new build, or when work is done which requires non-electrical BC approval, if the ceiling is below a loftspace or roof, there could well be issues in relation to thermal insulation when one installs recessed lights - and I think it can be a bit of a 'double whammy' in that the requirements for thermal insulation and the need to avoid overheating light fittings have the potential to come into conflict with one another.

Kind Regards, John

Have you considered Plan B - not using lights which need you to cut holes in the ceiling?

Planning permission not needed; might need BC check.
Plan B being considered, but wife would like downlights.

Do you need fire rated?

Are downlights suitable for a craft room?

Are holes in the ceiling to a loft area a good idea?

In a new build, or when work is done which requires non-electrical BC approval, if the ceiling is below a loftspace or roof, there could well be issues in relation to thermal insulation when one installs recessed lights - and I think it can be a bit of a 'double whammy' in that the requirements for thermal insulation and the need to avoid overheating light fittings have the potential to come into conflict with one another.

No reason why not in a craft room, as well as window.
Its a bungalow with integrated garage, and Theres downlights in kitchen, and insulation all across loft ....so it got permission on new build. So as long as one uses the enclosed type of fire rated downlights, there shouldnt be a problem...it was built 16 years ago (we are not original owners/builders), and its a very warm bungalow!

Thanks for posts, but No one has yet answered my question.....
which compliant light will be suitable for this?
B, C, E, L1, L2....! some of the enclosed fire rated are just B, others multi....some of those will be for bathrooms etc. But is B rated enough?

Its a bungalow with integrated garage ... So as long as one uses the enclosed type of fire rated downlights, there shouldnt be a problem...
As I said/implied, the purpose of 'fire-rated downlights' is to prevent spread of fire from the room below to whatever is above the ceiling. If that is only a loft/roof, then (although I may be wrong) I can't see that there would be any requirement for fire-rated lights.

However, as I also said, there might be issues in relation to thermal insulation if one cuts holes in the ceiling and has to 'push insulation out of the way'.

Kind Regards, John

Part B. Fire safety
Part C. Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
Part E. Resistance to the passage of sound
Part L. Conservation of fuel and power

Bear in mind some significant things about "fire rated" lights.

1. There's no reason why they should be any more tolerant of being covered in insulation than normal ones.
  2. If you use halogen ones they still get hot and can damage things near/touching them.
  3. They contain intumescent components which swell up and close off paths through the light when there is a fire. Under normal circumstances there's no guarantee that they don't have gaps for moisture, draughts etc to pass through.

Planning permission not needed; might need BC check.

I assume this is an integrated garage, and not a separate building?

It very much depends on where you live. Planning approval may be needed if you live in a conservation area, for instance.

Even if PLANNING consent is not needed, the conversion of a garage into a living space is a “change of use” of part of a building. An application for approval under the Building Regulations must be made before work commences. The submission of a Building Notice is an appropriate way to achieve this.

Best bet is to contact your LABC to check.

My neighbour, who converted a garage into a room, was required by BC to plaster with fireproof ceiling boards, in case a later owner ever converted in back to a garage.

Even if PLANNING consent is not needed, the conversion of a garage into a living space is a “change of use” of part of a building. An application for approval under the Building Regulations must be made before work commences. .... Best bet is to contact your LABC to check
I'm a bit confused by that. I was under the impression that "Change of use" was a Planning matter which normally would require planning permission - and which (although it quite often will) does not necessarily interest LABC at all?

Kind Regards, John

My neighbour, who converted a garage into a room, was required by BC to plaster with fireproof ceiling boards, in case a later owner ever converted in back to a garage.
Was there something, other than a roof or roofspace, above that garage?

Kind Regards, John

I'm a bit confused by that. I was under the impression that "Change of use" was a Planning matter

Mostly.... the conversion of a garage to living accommodation does not require planning permission and will be regarded as “Permitted Development”.

However in some cases “permitted development” rights were removed when planning permission was granted for the original construction of houses. In these circumstances Planning Permission will be required before you can carry out a garage conversion.
It is therefore (as i said) important that you check with the Council’s Development Control section whether planning permission is required for your proposal.

In any case a Building notice needs to be raised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back