Fire rated downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am having some downlighters put in my kitchen. Above the kitchen is my sons bedroom. Because the old ceiling was a mess I have had a false ceiling put in. My electrician said that because he will not be cutting into the actual ceiling then there is no need for fire rated downlighters. However someone I work with (who reckons he knows the regs) said that fire rated ones are neccessary. I have done some research (on here and other forums) and it seems that 'fire rated' is nothing to do with the lights but is relevant to the fact that there are holes in the ceiling therefore providing a path for a fire. If this is true then surely fire rated ones are not needed in my case and if anything will make it worse as holes would need to be cut in both ceilings to accommodate them.
Can anyone confirm (or not) this so I can put my know-it-all scare mongering colleague right.
Many thanks
Carol

Sponsored Links
Fire rated DLs are only required if you are drilling holes in a ceiling which is specifically designed as a fire barrier.

This will typically be ceilings between different flats, or the ceiling of an internal garage.

In a normal domestic property fire will probably burn up the stairwell before it gets through a 60mm DL hole.

See here for more information
Fire rated DLs basically have a fire hood built in.

RF is right (again)

Most of the "you must have fire-rated downlights" comes from the people that make them.

HOWEVER.
What you must have is a heat alarm in the kitchen linked to smoke alarms in the hall and upstairs near the bedrooms. Then you can leg it before things get hot!

Hopefully, your sparky has advised you about this??

Thanks for that guys. I already have mains powered smoke alarms but no heat alarm. I will ask him about these when he comes.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

carol

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that they were needed if someone is living in the room above i.e. bedroom - that was confirmed when my assessor asked me about fire barriers :confused:

I was under the impression that they were needed if someone is living in the room above i.e. bedroom - that was confirmed when my assessor asked me about fire barriers :confused:

Your assessor is wrong. Yes that's the case if it's separate flats for example but no if it's a standard two storey dwelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back