Downlighters - fire rated or non fire rated??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just about to purchase 240v down lighters for my new build bungalow, would i need fire rated ones for a single floor building? I`m aware that 'fire rated' are needed to stop fire spread through ceiling to a compartment above, but does this 'compartment above' refer to living accommodation above the ceiling with downlighters? Or would it also include the loft space which is my compartment above? I`m in Scotland so I`m unsure if it is different regulations here.
Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Seumas
www.seaharris.com

Sponsored Links
You don't need fire rated ones, unless there is a separate property above (which there isn't).

Certainly with the E&W Building Regs you wouldn't need them - don't know about the Scottish ones.

But to answer the actual question posed by the title of this topic:

Neither - they are dreadful things - please think again, and choose lighting which actually works properly and which won't be a complete PITA to install.

Firehoods/fire-rated or not, you'll still have the time consuming and fiddly job of building an enclosure to go over each hole, and sealing it into place from above - firehoods/fire-rated or not you cannot just have holes in the ceiling, as you'll not meet the regulations for insulation (your ceiling separates a conditioned and an unconditioned space) and you'll get condensation in the loft.

Don't go there.

Sponsored Links
Cool - scratch the bit above about building an enclosure.

But the rest still applies, including the whole idea of downlighters like that being sh**e.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back