Lights just stopped working....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advide greatly appreciated.

The lights in one of my rooms - contains 2 light fittings - have stopped working.

Other lights on this circuit are working fine. The fuse switch did not 'blow'. I have checked bulbs and have also changed one of the fittings to a standard penadant, still no joy.

I have checked switch and also changed this for another, still no joy.

using a circuit tester I am almost positive that the switch is not 'live' - not receiving any electric.

I am stumped, as I say other lights are working on this circuit.

What can I check now ???

Thanks
Mark.

Sponsored Links
if they are all on the same circuit it sounds as if a cable has become detatched from its terminal somewhere or broken down,do you have power at the ceiling rose?

folowing from the post above, if you have no power at the rose, it will be a broken / loose wire at the rose pevious.

:cry: no idea which one that is though

Hi, thanks for the replies.

There is no power at either rose.

So no power at the 2 'roses' or at the switch.

?????

Sponsored Links
well it must be at the one before that then mustnt it

have a look in for refernce you will see how they are wired

and please dont tell me you are using a neon tester to check for voltage

How can I tell what the 'One before that' is ?

Oh I am using a decent tester (Which I also tested on another circuit to prove it works).

1) follow the cables

2 what is your "tester" called and dont say Tom the tester

how many lighting circuits do you have? you may have to just open up the roses to check all the connections are in place,start off with the one closest to your problem area

Thanks for the continued help on this.....

There are 6 or 7 'lights' on this circuit.

I have only managed to open up the 2 nearest so far and they all looked ok, I will try the others hopefully this evening.

Is this still the only thing to check ?

you need to test with a multimeter at the roses to be sure you dont have power there,otherwise your just guessing,i wouldnt rely on any form of neon tester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back