lights out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello chaps and chapettes, just wondering if when a light bulb blows should it trip the fuse/braker thing?

Cheers, Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, it's just the way I walk!!

But we all know the principle behind Ballotini fuses?

I swear by them (just as much as J swears by RCBO's ( :LOL: ). I've never personally known a breaker trip with such a lamp in circuit. Conversely, I have a separate circuit for my lounge lighting, which always trips! The lamps? GU10's. Without Ballotini's.

cheers gents, not sure what breaker thingys they are, this glass ball things gone straight over my head (sorry :oops: )
its just a pain in the bum when you get up at 5am for work,flick lights on, bulb blows, toe gets stubbed on two doors and nearly fall down stairs trying to find the fuse box!!

once again cheers, Chris

It is said that "better quality" lightbulbs have this internal fuse (called a Ballotini) that prevents them tripping the breaker.

In my house I mostly use compact Fluorescent lamps (which don't fail in this way, so don't cause tripping) with a number of spotlights. Only the spotlights ever trip the breaker - and then only the small ones in the kitchen. It might be relevant that this circuit is adjacent to the CU and probably has the shortest cable in the house; I don't know if the length (and so resistance) of the circuit has any effect on damping the surge.

How old is your wiring installation, and what make is the consumer unit? There is a fix that can be done but it does require some tests and calculations (so is probably not worthwhile as it might involve employing an electrician for half a day :( ).

JohnD said:
(so is probably not worthwhile as it might involve employing an electrician for half a day :( ).
If it takes you half a day to swap out an MCB and do a couple of simple tests and a bit of paperwork, there's something wrong with you. :eek:

Plus travelling time and teabreaks :LOL:

Have you never been told "As I'm working at your house, I'll have to charge you for my time since I left home"

"Fair enough"

"I left home when I was 16"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back