lights ring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

wondering if you can help I was replacing on old B&Q type kitchen light (with another B&Q kitchen light for my mother. The light was working fine but just had seen better days. I removed the fuse for the light circuit and undid the fixing screws to the light base. The light was powered by only 2 wires live and neg to the light connection block. I replaced the new fitting in exactly the same way replaced the fuse....nothing. All the other lights in the ring worked as usual. I replaced with spare bulbs as I have had probs with duff bulbs from B&Q but nothing. I refitted the old light and hey....nothing but again all other lights worked. I then tested the live wire and there was no power (trying the pull switch in both posistion) I then un screwed the pull cord switch and tested there aswell no supply.

I'm stumped I can only assume there must be a break in the wiring circuit but wouldnt this be a really unlikely coincidence.

Any help would be appreciated (mother moaning) and would at least like to know the answer so I can tell the electrician I pay that I know how I F&*K£d up. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Firstly, when you pulled the fuse, did the other lights go out, or just the one you were working on?

Secondly, what are you using to test the circuit with?

Yep all the lights in the ring went out, Im tempted to say I tested it with my finger ( I did but accidentally but no kick) no I tested it with a bulb type electrical screw driver as well.

I'm wondering if there is a terminal block or junction box in the ceiling above the light fitting. On disconnecting the light, you could have dislodged the live cable, which is why there is also no power at the switch. Turn the power back off and have a look.

PS, using your finger to test for mains voltage is probably about as reliable as using a neon screwdriver! (Only joking by the way, but still true.)

By the way, is the light fitting earthed?

Sponsored Links
If all other lights are working and the light was working before you replaced it.
You could have pulled the cable out of junction box in ceiling void :(
Did we not bin the neons :evil:

Sorry forgot to mention I did think maybe there was a lose wire but I did try a little tug on both wires but bot seem secure altough I was a little alarmed to hear cable rapping along the cieling as I gently tugged them. Guys there is no terminal block or earth just the 2 wires exiting a small hole which looks as if it was filled up at some stage. really not impressed with the situation. The wires were also pretty long about 10inch each so I cut back as far as possible to try to allow for a break in the wire. Also would there not be juice to the pull cord switch once the ring is live. OK point taken re the neon tester it now has an appointment with the bin ( feel like using my mother to test if live )

PS the floor above the kitchen has just had new laminate flooring and skirting replaced....PLEASE DON'T suggest lift floorboards to check cables..lol

Have a look at pappyon's post about loop-in roses. There is a handy diagram there which explains how a light switch and light fitting can be connected to the lighting circuit, and may help you figure out where the break is. Make the hole as big as you can, whilst still being able to cover it up with the light, and have a good look.
If you can't find it, you'll need a multimeter to trace the fault.
By the way, it's called a circuit, not a ring.

Incidentally, are you putting up a double-insulated light fitting, seeing as you have no earth?

Yeah according to the instructions its double insulated (but as mother bought it thats just by luck rather than judgement) I'll check the post .

Thanks guys, I can hear a local sparks telephone ringing 2moro.

PS don't stop the suggestions coming I live in hope.

hmm how do I find that post?

thanks found it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back